Gear rollover from single mass conversion stopped

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm not complaining but after doing a t19 to zf5 swap 5 months ago the gear rollover associated with a single mass conversion has stopped. Is this something to be concerned about? Shifts the same as it has for years(drove it extensively in the donor truck) and is now as quiet as I remember in the original trick. Has anyone had this happen before?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By gear rolloverl do you meam a rattle/clatter at idle, or gear noises under load at low RPM?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has it warmed up where you live? Warmer weather means less drag from the trans oil and engine oil, which means a higher idle speed. The higher idle speed gets rid of the gear noise(at least it does on mine).

That's why I went back to the thinner auto trans fluid that was the factory fill on the zf. I found setting the idle higher got rid of the noise, and the quicker I can get to this higher idle the sooner the noise would go away. After I first start it I always get the noise, but it goes away quicker in warmer weather as the idle increases quicker(I do not have my high idle solenoid working).

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has gotten much warmer. We already had the idle turned up to 950 rpms. It is still reading there. Earlier though the noises didn't go away when when the truck was run hard for hours.

Other important detail I am running the factory spec atf. If I was low on atf it would get noisier not quieter right?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You probably have not noticed, but your engine may be running smoother. Warmer weather may help that, different fuel may help that. The noise is created by the engine slapping the gears around in the transmission. The rougher the engine runs, the louder the noise that is created. That I believe is why some people complain a lot about the noise, and some people do not have the noise at all. Some people's trucks run smoother at idle than others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat