gauging interest on IC intake part for ATS093 turbo kits.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
checking to see how many people who are genuinely interested in getting this part replicated and slightly improved on. I have an extra "hersehy kiss" IC intake part that came with a ATS IC kit. After finding out "Knuckledragger" is in the casting/machining business, we talked about having the part replicated and improving the sealing surface where the O-ring goes to handle higher boost pressures. The price point is going to be determined by the number of people willing to lay down the cash to make this part. Overwhelming number of people(more than 11 people)...$200
small number (less than 10...$300-$400)
see below pics for where the part goes and what it does.
at this time I have no other intention of replicating any other part of the ATS kit. this is the most critical part of the whole thing though.

Attachments

• ICATINTAKE.jpg
    ICATINTAKE.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 61
  • ICHERSHEYKISS.jpg
    ICHERSHEYKISS.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 40
  • ICASSEMBLED.jpg
    ICASSEMBLED.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 54

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
semi interested but the price wont agree with me.

Lost foam casting could maybe easily make these roughly but I've never actually casted anything. Aluminum melts pretty easy though. What about a blow-through carb intake hat with the 5 1/4" opening? Sorry if thats "off-topic"

I believe there are websites where people can pool their money together, which would help you track how much investment you get and such.

PS. nice avvy :p

Last edited:

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely interested in one. When I purchased my IC kit from ATS, they didn't have the "hershey kiss" to complete the kit. I've fabbed my own part, but would prefer the correct piece to complement my IC kit.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
semi interested but the price wont agree with me.

Lost foam casting could maybe easily make these roughly but I've never actually casted anything. Aluminum melts pretty easy though. What about a blow-through carb intake hat with the 5 1/4" opening? Sorry if thats "off-topic"

I believe there are websites where people can pool their money together, which would help you track how much investment you get and such.

PS. nice avvy :p
There's a reason why there is almost no aftermarket support for our IDI's. You are a good example of why. There's always"i've heard of a cheaper way........" until you have done the actual research of true cost, there is no factual basis for your comments. I'm trying to help out the group as a whole without taking it in the ass on deadbeats. I already have my parts and duplicates too, that is why I am using this one as a mold pattern. You don't want to know how much I had to pay for this "luxury" and I didn't even factor that into the cost analysis. If I did, this whole venture would have been dead from the start.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To add to Towcat's post:

Yeah, $200-300 is hard to swallow, but we're talking a custom made duplicate of a part that is effectively made of "unobtainium" at this point. There is no reason to ***** about the price, when it's reasonable considering the investment of time and materials. If the asking price were $1000 it might be outta line, but even then, it's a part that some folks need that they can't get. I'll gladly pay someone a fair price for a part if it means keeping my truck on the road, and built the RIGHT way, rather than cobbled together because I was too cheap.

The hard truth is this- if "WE" (the IDI owners) want to keep these old trucks on the road, we're going to have to continue to support them ourselves. It does not make good business sense for Banks/ATS/Hypermax/JoeBlowsDieselShop to invest in a platform that is already 20 years out of service and has a limited following. Unless you want to start shopping at Home Depot for parts to half-ass a truck together, this is the only option we have. This is partially why I always opt for factory Ford parts when I can still get them, as they're going away fast, and the first ones lasted 20 years, so why replace them with autozone crap?

Towcat, THANK YOU for taking time out of your life to offer up a product for everyone. It's easy to custom fab stuff for one truck- it takes time to supply a part to a community of enthusiasts. If you need help in mock up or 3D modeling of the part, I can probably assist....

Ryan

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
;Poke;Poke;Poke;Sweet

i know this sentiment all too well

i seem to remember an OB'er asking me to sell my firewall plates as a blank sheet of steel and a paper cutout just to make it cheaper...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a reason why there is almost no aftermarket support for our IDI's. You are a good example of why. There's always"i've heard of a cheaper way........" until you have done the actual research of true cost, there is no factual basis for your comments. I'm trying to help out the group as a whole without taking it in the ass on deadbeats. I already have my parts and duplicates too, that is why I am using this one as a mold pattern. You don't want to know how much I had to pay for this "luxury" and I didn't even factor that into the cost analysis. If I did, this whole venture would have been dead from the start.
Wasn't bashing, just saying 300-400$ towards an intake hat for a turbo kit that is worth 6-800$ tops is out of my budget.

I already have an intake hat which works perfectly from ATS and it isn't a hersheys kiss style. The 'snail' accepts 2" aluminum pipe and can rotate 360° at the base and from the pipe;Really

i seem to remember an OB'er asking me to sell my firewall plates as a blank sheet of steel and a paper cutout just to make it cheaper...
Wasn't me;Really

I'd love to see where I *******, to the person who editted it out. please quote and highlight it for me. I think I offered a few tips.
I'm outta here :***:

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
woah dude calm down. that statement wasnt directed at you personally. i dont remember who made that comment anymore. the point i was trying to make is it was made and that time and time again when stuff is posted on the internet you will get a barrage of people yelling something is too expensive.

what i can tell you TC is 90% of my sales originate from sources other then OB:dunno

*edit*

you got me curious so i had to go back and look..... it was franklin2 who said that...

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?38043-Firewall-Re-inforcement-plate&highlight=firewall+plate

post #18

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is definitely true.

I'm very grateful that some people are making things custom for these old trucks. Thanks all of you. anti-derail

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to continue the derail where is the thanks button? Also for some the hat I do is not right or what they want size wise, and its going to be 130.00 from here on out due to the ford part going up, so Towcats pricing is right in there with the norm, I like the taller design to get it over the air filter, makes lots of room for a custom filter setup.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to continue the derail where is the thanks button?
Not sure why it's in hiding with this forum template, but move the mouse to the bottom left of a post, in the same darker gray bar that the "Reply" and "Quote" buttons are but on the opposite side. Once the mouse is hovering over where the "Thanks" button should be, it'll pop up...and then immediately disappear the moment you move the mouse off the button.

Back on topic, I think that this is a great idea and hope that it will be successful, and thank you for doing this!! ;Sweet Barring any major changes, I don't think I need one (I already have one of Russ's setups, and depending on what ends up happening :sly I may end up not even needing that), but I would sign up immediately otherwise...

Dejomo

Reaction score
Alright so after butchering the hell out of my Hypermax hat...I'd be willing to throw in for one of these. Unfortunately...Since I have a VAN something tells me the "Gnome hat" isn.t going to work...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online