gauge cluster questions

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is this thing? It has something to do with the fuel level gauge.

You must be registered for see images attach

And removed (it just snaps in)......

Ford is famous for their stupid idiot oil pressure gauge. Are the temperature gauges also "stupid"? There are two resistors on the circuit membrane. The top 20 ohm resistor is for the idiot oil pressure gauge. What is the bottom resistor for? I can't trace the circuit because the membrane is discolored in that area.

If I remove the clips that secure the membrane to the gauges, can I remove the membrane from the cluster? How do the clips come out? I tried removing one but it was rather tight and I don't want to ruin anything by using force if I am wrong about the clip removal.

Thanks for the help.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I hope that's not a good cluster that you're reusing. If so, just screwed yourself by laying it down flat. Some fluid in the odometer will leak, then it won't work right. Never tried it myself. But read about it, and it's in the factory service manual. I have no idea what the thing is from the fuel gauge. I'm not sure how much was different on the e-series vs f-series, but my 94 seems like the temp gauge works. I've seen it move higher than normal if I drive it hard. But then again, it doesn't seem to gradually move when warming up. Seems like it moves to the usual spot at a predetermined temp. Kinda like the oil "gauge."

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oh and that "membrane" is the printed circuit. It does come off. Remove all the bulbs first. Those "clips," should be part of the conductor for the studs coming out the back of the individual gauges. They release from the inside.

460mudsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "thing" in your first and second post is a low fuel light circuit board. I didn't know any were ever installed from the factory in our trucks, but Ford included the spot to put it. The circuit board is easily added to the 92-96 clusters from a donor Crown Vic/Grand Marquis cluster.
The circuit board also acts as a needle stabilizer i.e. it slows down the rate at which the needle moves.
Anyone who has searched on other boards has probably seen and used some posts from "Steve83", I am including a link to his post on supermotors of how to add this.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/434941

For anyone that doesn't about him, he has a great wealth of knowledge posted on several forums. He has a VERY deep knowlege of 80-97 Ford trucks and Broncos (although not specifically diesels - he likes the 300 I6). He also has most of the factory Ford service CDs and DVDs and makes duplicates for a reasonable fee. He is a super nice guy and is from the Memphis, TN area and sometimes has various parts for sale.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope that's not a good cluster that you're reusing. If so, just screwed yourself by laying it down flat. Some fluid in the odometer will leak, then it won't work right. Never tried it myself. But read about it, and it's in the factory service manual. I have no idea what the thing is from the fuel gauge. I'm not sure how much was different on the e-series vs f-series, but my 94 seems like the temp gauge works. I've seen it move higher than normal if I drive it hard. But then again, it doesn't seem to gradually move when warming up. Seems like it moves to the usual spot at a predetermined temp. Kinda like the oil "gauge."

It is a good cluster but it is not lying down. The camera angle does make it look like it is but I've had it upright since removal.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and that "membrane" is the printed circuit. It does come off. Remove all the bulbs first. Those "clips," should be part of the conductor for the studs coming out the back of the individual gauges. They release from the inside.

So a good stright pull and the clips will come off, right? Thanks.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "thing" in your first and second post is a low fuel light circuit board. I didn't know any were ever installed from the factory in our trucks, but Ford included the spot to put it. The circuit board is easily added to the 92-96 clusters from a donor Crown Vic/Grand Marquis cluster.
The circuit board also acts as a needle stabilizer i.e. it slows down the rate at which the needle moves.
Anyone who has searched on other boards has probably seen and used some posts from "Steve83", I am including a link to his post on supermotors of how to add this.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/434941

QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll read up on it.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just remembered something...... if I ground out the temperature sender wire and the gauge goes full scale, it's a real gauge. If it goes mid scale, it's an "idiot" gauge.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i too heard that it is bad to lay the cluster face down, but when i had mine out i layed it face down and nothing happened. put it back together and it works just fine.:dunno

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you to everybody that answered my questions. Today I successfully disassembled the instrument cluster, fixed what needed fixin', and put it back together.

As far as the "unknown resistor"....it's wired in parallel with the amp light, so it has nothing to do with a possible "idiot" temperature gauge.

Thanks again for the help.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
And it needs to be there. Found that out at work. Without the dash in, the alt won't charge on a 97 e350.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "unknown resistor" is for the charging circuit. It's there in case the light bulb burns out for the charge light. The resistor will still pass the "ignition on" signal to the regulator(or alternator internal regulator) if the bulb opens up because it burns out.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Dave, that modual is an anti-slosh modual that was only included in E series clusters, doesn't have anything to do with a fuel light. If you take it out your fuel gauge sways with every bump you hit, leave it in and it kinda averages out the fuel level. Also, I've never heard of laying the cluster face down will ruin it and I've laid mine id every position for long periods of time. Works just fine still.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online