gas IH 345 intake popping

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
First, what caused the bent pushrod? Next, can you do it when you are just idling? Third, compression check. Fourth, can you adjust the timing and change it? Fifth, when you notice it, in order to get the proper reading off of the plugs on something like this, you have to stop it after you have had it popping almost immediately. On a problem like this, when the idle and normal driving is okay, it can clear up the plugs in about a block (maybe less depending on the duration of the problem and severity). How much slack is in the chain?

SWS

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I'm not sure what bent it, it was bent when I got the scout. I'm assuming it was over revved. Yeah it'll do it if you rev in neutral, idling you can't even tell there's a problem. I didn't adjust the timing to see if it changed but I did set it at 10*. there's no timing chains in international engines, all gear driven.

Thanks
-Jon

I-HFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok here's my basis on this being good in an idi diesel forum, IH gassers are built to diesel specs AND redline at the same RPM as an IDI, plus this scout is the orange scouts older brother. cookoo oh and i traded an IDI f-250 for it! :sly

this is a '74 scout II 345 with about 30K miles on the ticker. i replaced a bent pushrod and a lifter when i got it, then i noticed this intake pop, i replaced EVERY ignition component and swapped a distributor. also swapped a known good carb. still does it. it idles smooth accelerates well, but anything more than 1/4 throttle it pops out of the intake and it sounds like popcorn. if i ease into it it'll take longer before it pops loud enough to hear. usually happens 1800-2000RPM's and the pitch and quickness varies with the press of the skinny pedal. i'm at a loss i have no idea what it is. has anyone seen this before???? :dunno

i have a youtube video, this is accelerating to wide open throttle. don't mind the blip at the end i recorded it with my droid and got a text! LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kuwDf_mGKo

thanks
-Jon
nice scout i haVE A 78' SCOUT 2 IM WORKING ON IT HAS THE SAME MOTOR 345, BUT I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THAT BUT MINE ONLY HAS 29,000 ORIGANAL MILES. MY DAD MAY KNOW HE HAS WORKED ON MOTORS HIS WHOLE LIFE. IF YOU HAVE A SCOUT GRILL CONTACT ME, I BE INTERESTED IN ONE FOR THE RIGHT PRICE PERTICULERY A SS2 GRILL. THANKS.:sly

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
nice scout i haVE A 78' SCOUT 2 IM WORKING ON IT HAS THE SAME MOTOR 345, BUT I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THAT BUT MINE ONLY HAS 29,000 ORIGANAL MILES. MY DAD MAY KNOW HE HAS WORKED ON MOTORS HIS WHOLE LIFE. IF YOU HAVE A SCOUT GRILL CONTACT ME, I BE INTERESTED IN ONE FOR THE RIGHT PRICE PERTICULERY A SS2 GRILL. THANKS.:sly

Just so happens I have a few extra SS2 grilles, shoot me an email [email protected] .

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
think the headgasket went south, the pop is faint but constant, it overheated, puked 3 gallons of coolant out and now has a steady miss. ugh. :confused:

-Jon

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Compression check, compression check, compression check. Do it hot and do it cold for your best numbers. Also, do you have a coolant pressure kit? Run it and then pump it up while it is running. If it changes, you konw there is a problem.

SWS

sassyrel

Reaction score
You ever figure this out?

SWS

from his old original post--about the bent pushrod--me thinks he bent valve--and if run long enough that way,,itll burn where its bent--even if just slight--the fire flying by it--will burn it---been there--any brand--------

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online