G injectors

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok.... I have read a lot of hoopla about the G turbo injectors. I have also read that the factory IDI turbo was a big disappointment making little to no more horsepower than the non-turbo. If this is correct then what advantage is there to running the G injector? The truck is a 86 4x4 supercab. I am going to be running a 7.3 with an ATS aftermarket wastegated turbo, 3:55's and a ZF. The 7.3 was originally a 94 turbo motor and is equipped with the turbo pistons (or so I am told) but it doesn't have the G injectors in it. The engine is from a previous project and is presently naturally aspirated in an 85 2wd. The pump will be turned up with a 6.2 gov spring and a 3.5 inch straight pipe. Are the G injectors worth the extra cost? :dunno

Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Ok.... I have read a lot of hoopla about the G turbo injectors. I have also read that the factory IDI turbo was a big disappointment making little to no more horsepower than the non-turbo. If this is correct then what advantage is there to running the G injector? The truck is a 86 4x4 supercab. I am going to be running a 7.3 with an ATS aftermarket wastegated turbo, 3:55's and a ZF. The 7.3 was originally a 94 turbo motor and is equipped with the turbo pistons (or so I am told) but it doesn't have the G injectors in it. The engine is from a previous project and is presently naturally aspirated in an 85 2wd. The pump will be turned up with a 6.2 gov spring and a 3.5 inch straight pipe. Are the G injectors worth the extra cost? :dunno

if your going to run g code injectors then you need to run them with the factory turbo idi pump, cause they are calibrated for each other, the reason the factory turbo trucks were so weak was because the outlet housing on the turbo was smaller than ats intended, and the downpipe was cruched for "clearance" and that made it to were it couldnt make as much power as it could, i intend on doing the 6.2 governer spring mod one day, just realise one thing if you blow your motor its your fault, here is some pictures of the outlet housings and down pipes as you can see the ats parts on the left and ford parts on the right big difference!

Attachments

• 192500_520.jpg
    192500_520.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 192501_520.jpg
    192501_520.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 22

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
G codes are emissions injectors, or so my supplier said. I ran them in my truck in the sig and I now have bb codes set to 1900 pop, it runs much better and quieter. I have been selling the bb,s for a few months now and so far no complaints. I would not use g codes with out a turbo pump , and probably not even then. IMO they are a waste of money.

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the risks involved with the 6.2 spring mod. I personally am not afraid of it to much. I've read that the valves begin to float around 4000. I have a problem with that. Maybe I don't understand but for valves to float at 4000 the valve springs would have to be out of my Briggs and Stratton! I think sometimes if I had that extra 500 rpm with a load that when I went to grab the next gear I would be in a little happier place where torque is concerned and not find myself shifting back again quite so soon. I've read alot of posts condeming it and taking note that since the engine falls flat at 3500 anyway why bother? I have to wonder though... how flat it would be if the IP wasn't shutting the fuel down. I'm leaning toward the BB injectors and tend to agree that the g's are much to do about nothing. I understand that the factory turbo was restrictive. I have been told that its only asset was running in the altitude. It helped to make up for the lack of atmospheric pressure in the mountains. Restrictive or not the pump and injectors were tuned together and the end result was only slight increases in HP. If the pump and injectors performed normally with a restricted turbo then why would I want that on my truck? Straighten me out here if I'm wrong. Been around 50 years but not the sharpest tool in the diesel shed.

Last edited:

discbrks

Reaction score
I'm running G codes with a non-turbo pump, banks turbo and a 4" exhaust. I don't have any issues with this combo, but I can't say that the G's are any better than the BB's. I have nothing to compare them to.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they were set to the 2150 pressure that most were you would have late timing issues, if they are stock out of the box at 1900 ish, they wont have issues.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I know the risks involved with the 6.2 spring mod. I personally am not afraid of it to much. I've read that the valves begin to float around 4000. I have a problem with that. Maybe I don't understand but for valves to float at 4000 the valve springs would have to be out of my Briggs and Stratton! I think sometimes if I had that extra 500 rpm with a load that when I went to grab the next gear I would be in a little happier place where torque is concerned and not find myself shifting back again quite so soon. I've read alot of posts condeming it and taking note that since the engine falls flat at 3500 anyway why bother? I have to wonder though... how flat it would be if the IP wasn't shutting the fuel down. I'm leaning toward the BB injectors and tend to agree that the g's are much to do about nothing. I understand that the factory turbo was restrictive. I have been told that its only asset was running in the altitude. It helped to make up for the lack of atmospheric pressure in the mountains. Restrictive or not the pump and injectors were tuned together and the end result was only slight increases in HP. If the pump and injectors performed normally with a restricted turbo then why would I want that on my truck? Straighten me out here if I'm wrong. Been around 50 years but not the sharpest tool in the diesel shed.

i am actually not afraid of 4000 rpm, mine will turn 3800 right now, but mine starts cutting fule back at 3600 and if i could get that to happen later i would be happier

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
I'm running G codes with a non-turbo pump, banks turbo and a 4" exhaust. I don't have any issues with this combo, but I can't say that the G's are any better than the BB's. I have nothing to compare them to.

Same here. Mine will run out till 3500 and then the fuel starts to back off.

bigguy22

bigguy22
Reaction score
Just a question to timing if you run ''G'' with the turbo pump what shoud the timing be .I set the time at 9.7 with the ferret the other day . Sorry guys should have posted it in K Williams thread on timing questions. Still learning about computors and all

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm running a set of matched pop pressure "G" code injectors. I'm not that impressed with them and will probably change to a BB set. Mine pop at 1950lbs.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard that you can trade in your G code injectors for some BB's. They fill the old injectors with lead and crush them. LOL

I wouldn't run them myself. Anything brought about for "emissions" reasons gets an automatic red X through it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for backing me on this one mel, g's suck

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to me Ford went out of their way to de-rate the turbo IDI, so I'd say G injectors, and the Ford/ATS factory downpipe combined with the turbo pump calibration, form the axis of evil Bush was always talking about. LOL