Future WMO user

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
I believe that I have gotten mechanically inclined enough to start running WMO ;Sweet. Ok I know that there is a system for it and I have seen a few pictures on here, and I checked out a website called pabiodieselsupply and the prices dropped my jaw :eek: I saw pics of a few home made systems on here. What did those cost and what does a complete system consist of?And also what do I need to cut the oil with to make it run the best with the best mpgs (7.3/E4OD)? The local fuel prices are killing me and its only gonna get worse. I need as much help as I can get guys

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a 120 gph kit from pabiodiesel last week I am in the process of putting it together now. I looked at the price and figured in about 8000 miles it would pay for it self in fuel savings. It cost money to make money.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i did a real rough breakdown of my system cost, it was built over time with some scrounging and cannabilizing of my other system. with enough scrounging costs can vary drastically depending on how much you can find and how fancy you want to go. i also did a rough break down of the estimated costs if you just bought all the parts to my system.

Attachments

• Centrifuge.jpg
    Centrifuge.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 67

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
Jred it was one of your older posts that I saw your home made setup and I really like it. My girlfriend is fixin to start runnin WMO also so its just a good all around idea for me. Is there any pointers you can give me? i'm asking you cause I know your expirienced ;Sweet

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasted a bunch of money experimenting on failed attempts early on. Most folks start using WMO to save money. It can be pretty cheap to get started and then you can upgrade as you go.

We currently process in 250 gallon batches in a sort of set it and forget it manner but getting started could as simple as; blend gasoline with WMO so that the final mixture is +/- 15% regular unleaded gas. Blend it together really good with a big stick. Let settle for a week.

Get a small block chevy oil pump and google search how to convert it to an external driven pump with hoses. Amazon a couple filter bases 24770 or similar. Get two spin on filters. One 22micron with water block, one with 2 micron nominal, +/- 6 micron absolute. Cobble together some hoses (vacuum rated for the intake), hook a pipe to the intake hose, place intake a couple inches off the bottom of the blend bucket and suck the blend through the two filters. Fill tank and enjoy. Always carry a spare fuel filter for your truck and know how to change it on the side of the road.

I'm guessing you get the initial setup put together for less than the cost of a fill up.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i dont have it all figured out yet but i have saved enough and my mistakes were minor. on my original setup i did not heat or premix my oil, just poared it in the top and added some air pressure to push it through. a couple of things i wanted to add to my original setup but then held off for my new system.

1. have a clear sight tube running up the side so i know how much is in there instead of playing the tapping the barrel game with my knuckle
2. a pressure gage before each filter so i know which one is clogging up.
3. and yes carry spare filters on hand for your filter rig and truck. the one mic hous filter was decent but it is not absolute and can still clog your truck filter a little more frequently.
4. prefiltering through some old jeans is a great cheap way to get a lot of nasties out ahead of time and save your filters.

on a side note to i avoid gear oil, my dad gave me some and i thought the oil looked a bit thicker (it was mixed with several gallons of regular WMO) it stopped my truck cold. i had to add a bunch of kero to my tank and flush my lines, had a not to happy wife that day. fortunatly she knows i am a tinkerer and sometimes these things happen.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend start out simple. I started out with a plastic barrel, barrel pump, automotive engine oil filter from a remote mount setup and my wmo from my own vehicles.
It looks like your well on the way to running wmo. I would make sure you have a water filter in whatever setup you start using.
As far as electric motors & pumps there many different kind combos, PS pump, engine oil pumps, etc. Sometimes whatever you are most comfortable working on is the best route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online