Fuse+relay box?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not tryin tio hijack Dunks post or anything.

but what are the con's of hooking the headlights straight up to the battery with a independent starter solenoid?

i have rewired cars many ways from Ron Francis wiring kits to my completely own harness with a marine style fuse block.

when doing a headlight wiring job DIY style, ive always wondered why this wasnt ever really looked at.

my thinking is that its only downfall would be the life of the solenoid with it being constantly on during operation.

we did a relay on pianoman's 85 the other day, and the relay all had the same gauge wiring.

the reason we have so many issues with headlights is the amperage they draw...
so using a china made plastic box never sat well with me.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember it's ohms per foot. Cut out feet loose ohms. I don't know for sure, but I suspect a starter relay would not survive constant duty all that well. Other than that, it's the same component schematically.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Remember it's ohms per foot. Cut out feet loose ohms. I don't know for sure, but I suspect a starter relay would not survive constant duty all that well. Other than that, it's the same component schematically.

They don't. Found that out with Taurus fans. Even killed a constant duty Warn winch relay.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Indeed it has to do with how a starter solenoid is made and duty cycle. You can use a solenoid that is rated for continuous duty (such as http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064MX7US) but you pay the price in how large they are, current to keep it engaged, and likely dollars too for high quality or high amp rating. Typically rated for higher amperage than run of the mill relays. Constant duty solenoids are sometimes used as automatic battery isolators in boats (isolate stereo/house bank from starting when at the sand bar).

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Went ahead and ordered this RTMR a little while ago along with wire, connectors, terminals, plugs, etc... Along with Cibie ECE headlights and Phillips Xtreme vision 130+ bulbs and ceramic H4 plugs. Got a Cibie 7" round headlight and made up a harness and relays for my bike and am absolutely amazed at the amount of light it puts out, basically went from a small blob of dim orange light with the sealed beam from the 70s to like daylight after the upgrade... so pulled the trigger for the truck. Just getting started wiring it up but looking forward to being able to see.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't fuse the headlights, use auto reset breakers that go in the fuse slot. Losing headlights on a dark rainy road is not fun.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont you mean a ditch moment?

A ditch might be a lot better than a power pole or a tree.

Talk about a power pole, the GD AEP Power CO. set a pole last Friday square in the center front of my driveway to my shop. I think I invented some new swear words today when I seem that. Thursday, no pole, Sunday a pole. ***