Fuel question

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen lot of people ask about fuel pressure found out are pumps are 5psi at full tilt. My question is stock fuel pump put out 30 gph what if we go more to 50-75 gph. I know they make them for marine applications. So more gallon per hour better or worse. I know in gasser they like to have gph more then psi for performance, but im looking to save pump long term. 6.5l diesel had a 5 to 7 psi with 35 gph to feed there pump.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the injection pump is the limiting factor on how much fuel you can use. You can use a lift pump with 100gph and all you're doing is moving more fluid through the return lines.

When you have a larger injection pump it may require more flow but just putting a "bigger better" lift pump will only help if the one you have isn't performing to spec.

What's your setup? There are members here that can help you dial in your setup but just dumping a bigger lift pump on a stock truck serves no purpose.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its all stock set up but i know the pumps die from fuel flow. Fuel cools and lubricates just seeing if its a plus i do want to out a cam in mine. My truck it a naidi now i got a tidi factory turbo but developed a knock i think its from the added pressure. Right now im fighting algae because truck been sitting for year to 1.5 years. Love my truck just want her tip top shape.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its all stock set up but i know the pumps die from fuel flow. Fuel cools and lubricates just seeing if its a plus i do want to out a cam in mine. My truck it a naidi now i got a tidi factory turbo but developed a knock i think its from the added pressure. Right now im fighting algae because truck been sitting for year to 1.5 years. Love my truck just want her tip top shape.

Also fuel pressure affects the timing of the pump the guru to talk to is wes aka thewespaul the dude is genius

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also fuel pressure affects the timing of the pump the guru to talk to is wes aka thewespaul the dude is genius
I do know fuel pressure changes timing but you can still have 5psi with 70gph or 5psi at 30gph. I know when i build a s10 with 350 in it stock pump was 60psi with 35gph we upgraded to a police caprice 60psi at 50gph. It made a difference on a powered 350 and stock 454 pump was 60psi at 35gph in the one tons.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pressure is a measurement of restriction, so if increase fuel volume and the pump cannot use it then pressure is going to increase. If you use a bypass style regulator you can have the excess fuel go out the return, but the return is only so big, and excess pressure in the return will actually make the ip displace less fuel. the pump will only swallow so much fuel, you will not see any gains in a stock application, there shouldn’t be any issues with your pump being starved of fuel if your fuel system is correct.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pressure is a measurement of restriction, so if increase fuel volume and the pump cannot use it then pressure is going to increase. If you use a bypass style regulator you can have the excess fuel go out the return, but the return is only so big, and excess pressure in the return will actually make the ip displace less fuel. the pump will only swallow so much fuel, you will not see any gains in a stock application, there shouldn’t be any issues with your pump being starved of fuel if your fuel system is correct.
Ok i understand my system working correctly just got to remove some algae. So this means the IP stock is pressure sensitive, and tops out on gph. Are truck really sip they dont like to drink compared to other diesel.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are truck really sip they dont like to drink compared to other diesel.

Are you upset your mpg is too high? :joker:

Did you already install the turbo or not yet? If the turbo is installed have you turned up the injection pump? (Allen head screw inside the IP)

These can take some more fuel but you'll have to do a little work. Studs and a bigger turbo will allow you to burn more fuel but then you'll need a higher displacement IP.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbo is on and pump turned up. Adyer a little bit of running like this i developed a knock im assuming its from the added pressure. I have a gasket kit to reseal the motor.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loosen an injector line at a time and see if the knock goes away. These engines almost never spin bearings unless they have been run out of oil, so more than likely it’s just an injector hanging open.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loosen an injector line at a time and see if the knock goes away. These engines almost never spin bearings unless they have been run out of oil, so more than likely it’s just an injector hanging open.
I did do that the thought it was number 7 but no change after replacing it did test again and other injectors does the same Knock quiet down. I did replace the whole fuel system when i got it that was 30,000 miles or so ago. But the knock sounds close to a 6.6 Lb7 knock or the faint 6.0l knock.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's your timing? Is it a little bit too advanced? Turbo engines seem to like timing more retarded than N/A engines do.
Never put a light on it its less the a penny thickness. I timed it really close by feel took a few try's. I guess i could retard it some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online