Fuel problems/no start!

Farmall Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I bought my 87 6.9 about a month ago. When I bought it they said it didn't run...we cracked injectors, hooked up two trucks and jump started it. She fired up. Now after sitting a few weeks, I filled with some fuel, put two new 850cca batteries, cracked injectors and cranked for about 10sec each time on and off for about 10min but no fuel flows. :/ haven't checked fuel filter yet, planned on takin it off soon. Any suggestions? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk now Free

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check for 12v at the injector pump fuel shutoff solenoid. If that's good, then check for fuel pressure at the filter head by depressing the schrader valve while cranking. If no fuel, then I'm BETTING that your fuel lines are plugged with old showerhead pieces from the plastic tank pickups. That or the mechanical lift pump is bad.

Since it ran before, my bet is the showerhead pieces, or the FSS. I doubt it's the fuel pump.

Farmall Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I've heard about the schrader valve on my filter but I looked and I can't seem to find it...I do know that I need new return lines because they leak out almost overnight

Farmall Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked where it should be and there is just what looks like a threaded hole...I feel like something is missing with my setup.

Farmall Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some pics of my filter head

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383596591990.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383596591990.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 36

Farmall Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Side view

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383596650938.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383596650938.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 36

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3 ports you see there are, from left to right in your pic, the return line, the schrader valve, and the filter warning sender. Looks like the PO plugged all those up - notice how they moved the return line to the output line to the injector pump.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I certainly hope they're plugged, otherwise, plug them.

No, you SHOULDN'T need a new head. I have the returns running like yours are, that's a 6.9 elbow that has the return barb on it. On the 7.3 they moved it to the head directly.

If the ports are plugged, it should be fine. Only problem is, no way to test for fuel when cranking, other than to take one of the lines off and crank, and see if there is fuel. That is what I would do next. Or take off the fuel filter, put a bowl under it, and crank, and see if fuel in bowl. If yes, your lift pump is good. If no, most likely it is bad.

Farmall Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any luck it could b my fuel shutoff solenoid? That would b an easy fix!

Farmall Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I took a tester light and checked the wire going to the FSS and it is ok, then I jumped a wire directly to the tab and it clicked on and off so I believe it is still good. Im guessing my lift pump is probably bad. But why would it start originally when we had jump started it?, the injectors bled fine then. I think I ran it out of fuel just before I parked it and let it sit for a few weeks then put fuel in it. so maybe all this cranking has sucked up some debris into the fuel lines? Im at a loss.