Fuel problem

frank-id

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gave engine 7.3, a valve grind. Replaced all parts on engine. Removed factory fuel pump and installed new electric fuel pump. All electric connections connected. My difficulty is, no fuel comes out the injector lines when fuel pump is running and when engine is also turning. The solenoids inside Injection pump make clicking sounds. The pump may be defective. Any ideas? Frank

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you disconnected the output line from the electric fuel pump and placed the line in a jar to see if fuel is coming out when the pump is energized?. How much fuel is being pumped out in ten seconds?. Multiply that by six and you will have your flow rate for one minute. If it is pumping fuel is it pumping enough?.

Is their any white smoke coming from the tailpipe when cranking?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Fuel will never come out of the injector line when the electric fuel pump is running. What will happen is the filter will fill with fuel. Then it flows into the injection pump. It will flow thru the injection pump and out the top return line fitting after some time running the pump. The only way fuel can come out of the hard lines at the injectors is to run the motor on the starter and hold the throttle wide open. This will force more fuel thru the injection pump faster clearing out the trapped air. Hopefully when you did the valve job you didn't remove the injection pump gear cover from the motor. Thats removing that half round aluminum gear cover with the 4 long and short 3/8 inch diameter bolts. If you pulled that cover off you need special help to get the gear timing correct.....

frank-id

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No fuel

i connected the lift pump to run all the time. I connected the injection pump to the battery source. I opened slightly the triangle cover on the side of the injection pump. Fuel flooded out. There is no fuel at the injector lines, not connected to injectors, no fuel out of return line. I have allowed the lift pump to run constantly. No fuel any plave and with engine cranking. I guess the injection pump must be changed. poop. Frank

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Before you condem the injection pump first remove the brass fitting on the top of the pump cover. This is a check valve and it may be plugged up. Then run the electric lift pump. Fuel should be coming out of the top of the pump. If not try the starter but hold the throttle wide open. Fuel will have to flow out the top or the hard line fittings on the back of the pump. It appears that you have all the hard lines off the injection pump. Thats fine. You will not see much fuel at those fittings. These motors don't use very much fuel at cranking or idleing rpm. Post back what you find.... The pump may have a issue but thats not really defined yet. If it has a pluggage internally just some injector cleaner or atf fluid poured into the pump may free up what might be stuck or gummed up.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Some pumps simply require more effort to bleed the air off than others. Some you can just floor it and crank and they will clear. Others you need to leave all the line fittings loose at the injectors and crank like crazy with it floored till you finallly get some fuel to appear at an injector, then tighten that one down and crank some more till you get fuel at another , then stop, tighten it down, and repeat the process till you either get fuel at all holes or it fires up on you, then tighten the rest. This process can take stopping to re charge the batteries once or twice on a real ornery engine and you can end up spending a couple of days fussing with some by the time it's all done. There is no pat formula for quick bleeding, every engine /pump combination is going to be different each time.

If you are unsure about the output of your lift pump, I have a rig that works nicely for bleeding that you can make up with a boat fuel tank and line with the priming bulb, with a filter inline Make suer the hose is long enough to reach the tank while set on the roof. then attach the hose directly to the injection pump inlet ( or clamp it around the end of teh steel inlet line to the IP) and then have someone crank the engine with accelerator floored while you pump the priming bulb like crazy. You should get fuel leaking out the lines quickly . I've used this method for years on trouble bleeders.

frank-id

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lift pump output is about 5-7 pounds

All the hard lines are off the injectors. The pump is jumper direct. Fuel is only in pump but does not appear any place. Thanks for the replys. Gonna change the pump tomorrow. It is dark here in Idaho at 6:33. I'll remove the fitting on top first. Frank

frank-id

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 7.3 injection pump is fussy

I have been trying to get my injection pump to make pressure. I have changed pumps and the check valve on the top of the pump. I do not want to just grind my starter trying to get the pump to make fluid and pressure. Soooo, I'm gonna make a bench fixture to make priming easier.
I have a IP housing that will be bolted to a holding base of some sort. The IP will be turned with a 1/3hp electric motor. I will remove the IP top cover and manually keep the fuel level topped up. The return line from the pump will need a collection container. I have a couple pumps and will
notice what makes a pump take a prime. The lift pump's only task seems to deliver fuel to the pump. The valve is the method of stopping fuel and stopping the engine.
Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online