Fuel Plate/ Mileage

mackiexj

Modern Day Drifter
Reaction score
94 2500 5spd 3.55 gears 140k. Curious about fuel plates and their effect on mpg. I am consitantly getting 22mpg on highways and rural roads with a max crusing speed of 70 in the colorado mountains. I have heard some say you can use fuel plates to fine tune similar to a chip and only loose mpg if you get on it while others say a fuel plate will send mpg down the crapper. I am not looking for crazy power and black smoke just a little boost when i want it and no drop in mpg, i do a lot of highway driving.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
the fuel plate will have no effect on your mileage if you keep driving the same way you are now. this is because the fuel plate just limits the amount of fuel you are allowed to send to the engine at various rpms/boost levels. So you if run your right foot the same way then you won't effect the mileage one bit but if you start actually using the extra range that the new plate grind gives to you then your mileage will go down.

For example I get 21 on a pretty regular basis but if I start playing with the right pedal trust me I can get it down to 10mpg because most of what was in the tank was being tossed out the tailpipe because I wanted to roll smoke or I wanted to launch from the stop light.... That is the nice thing about diesel is you can turn them up pretty much as high as you want but if you don't change the way you drive most of the time you won't loose your mileage.

Oh and since this is your first post here - WELCOME!

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
You don't need to buy a custom plate. You can grind you own if you want. I ground mine to a #100 plate profile. I have an automatic trans, and if I use the full use of my plate profile all the time, I will burn up my trans. But I rarely go over 1/2 throttle, so I'm not worried. But the power is there if I want it.

mackiexj

Modern Day Drifter
Reaction score
I had my truck at sealevel this summer and their was noticable power difference which is what got me thinking of the fuel plate. Nothing crazy just some mild powers improvements when i want them. I was thinking of one of the TST kits, i can do the install myself, which plate numbers seem to be a good compromise?

Big AL

Reaction score
Hi guys, first time here...just bought my 97 Dodge 2500 4x4 today. Where would I find info on grinding the fuel plate...also I heard something about a killer dowel pin...any info...Thanks

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Hi guys, first time here...just bought my 97 Dodge 2500 4x4 today. Where would I find info on grinding the fuel plate...also I heard something about a killer dowel pin...any info...Thanks

Here's a plate profile guide if you want to grind your own.
The killer dowel pin (KDP) is inside the timing cover on the front of the engine. There are lots of articles on this all over the web, I'll give you a few links.

http://www.cumminsdatabase.com/read.php?id=111
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-tech-articles/65672-kdp-repair-home-video.html
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-tech-articles/1069-kdp-repair-link-l.html

Attachments

• plateprofiles0ny.jpg
    plateprofiles0ny.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 41

Big AL

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, am going to have the dowel pin looked at asap. I actually saw a few ads to purchase the fuel plate so I may go that route...But thanks again for the pic...will blow it up and print for future reference...

thirstyram

Reaction score
got my fuel plate on E Bay for around thirty bucks. i think i typed in : dodge cummins torque plate. if that don't work, let me know and i'll look it up.

Big AL

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...I also got one on ebay...got the #100...still have a few things to look into before I put in on...soon...

thirstyram

Reaction score
I think mine is a #6 or #8. I don't remember. Anyway it's the 230 HP one. I'll probably get a hotter one after I get gauges and a more solid tranny. I'm pretty happy with this for now. It'll pull my little 5K Travel trailer up most hills in OD,something it wouldn't do wnen it was a 180 HP Ca. EGR engine. I love my truck!

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
So, if I understand that picture, the 0 plate is 'hotter' than the 100 plate? By adding more fuel? I just bought my 94 with a 5 speed and this will probably be the first mod I do to it, just don't know what it all means. I'm used to 6.9's :)

Chris

red wagon

Reaction score
i took mine out completly not had any problems that way if u want mor power u give it more skinny pedal less power less pedal u got to have gages though my motor been rebuilt fire ringed and head studed though

Big AL

Reaction score
haven't put the #100 on yet...one of the guys from the forum is going to give me a hand...I also got the 3000 rpm gov spring kit...am hoping to improve my towing...not worried about racing....hopefully soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7