fuel line type and size

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently I tapped into my fuel line to put my pre-lifet pump filter in. The line from my tank is a thin (plastic looking) type line.

I would like to properly tap into this line becuase the way I did it didn't hold up very well.

It hose looks to me that to properly tap into it, would take a 5/16" compression type fitting?

Am I right?

thanks for any advise.

Joe

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to make double sure what size it is. If it's metric, hopefully it's 8mm which is the same as 5/16. Some of the other metric sizes won't cross over.

If you do find it's 5/16, you will need to go to Lowe's or someplace that has the proper compression fittings. The compression fitting you need will have a small tube insert that goes in the center of the line to support it while the compression ring squeezes it on the outside. If you buy a compression fitting that does not have this insert for support, the compression ring will squeeze down on the plastic and crush it. Steel and copper lines are stronger and don't need the insert.

They also have fuel injection plastic line repair kits in the auto store. I have never used one, but they are supposed to repair these plastic lines. I don't know if it would have something you could use.

I am curious how this works out for you, since when I get to a spot like that, I usually cut the plastic line out and use metal. If there is a spot that need to transition from the plastic to the metal, I take a heat gun and heat the metal fuel line on the end, and then push the plastic up over it, and use a very small hose clamp. This is not the best "official looking" splice, but it works and is reliable.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
When we repair them at or put new ends on them at work we just press a barbed fitting in. I found its easier and works better if you can heat it a little. They all thought I was nuts using a blow dryer on a busted fuel line, then the broken end just pulled out and the new end slid back in. once it cools it wont leak (at least I havent seen one leak on there is one on my truck in the driveway.

punk

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Emmer, if you go compression fittings, let me know what size works.

I'm swapping my EFI 460 out for the 6.9 tomorrow. I was planning on using compression fittings to tap into the stock gasser fuel lines, just before the high pressure EFI pump, and using air brake line to convey the diesel fuel to the motor.

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Punkmachanic- Thanks for the info, I used to heat up the ends of hoses in boiling water and then slid them onto a fitting that was one size too big. The end result was a hose that the incredible hulk couldn't pull off.
I'll try the heat gun or blowdryer method.

Rangerwreck- I sure will let you know, no problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online