Fuel Leak >.<

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
of course, its tax time and the ol girl wants to start acting funny, heres the scoop, fired her up, ran her to the store to get a pack of smokes, then back home.... however on the way home i start smelling fuel... strong, pop the hood and wa'la i find the source, its coming out of the side of the ip, where the little lever drops down to (dont know what its called, its located on the drivers side on the bottom of the pump) my question is can it be fixed (even if temporarily) or do i just need to get a new pump? any advise is welcomed... i dont want to keep driving it but as its my only transportation till i can get some parts for my other vehicle, aside from fire and leaking fuel every where what damage can i be doing and is it gonna leave me stranded?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats the advance plunger and yes it can be replaced but.. It has a special depth to be set in the housing. I needed one for my pump so I removed the pump. Removed the part of the plunger that head the seal and took it to a pump shop. Thats when they told me how tuff it is to install this correctly and you need a special driver to do it. They had the driver and the seal. they offered to install it while I waited. No charge for the installation or the seal...:eek::hail:hail:love::love::yell::yell::thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm as happy as a puppy with 2 peters and I will continue doing business there for sure. Usually when this seal fails its time for a rebuilt pump but you can buy some time fixing this. And BTW this seal leak will drain the pump of the fuel and cause problems starting. Can you "find" another cap and seal off a wrecker pump.. Yes but be prepared to remove the plunger arm and that can be tuff too. The plunger pin clips are very small and hard to work with. Not a job for the big handed guys either. Try practicing on wrecking yard pumps befor you work on yours.

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
Thanks... I guess ill look at ordering a new pump... In the mean time... Off to the junk yard

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk