Fuel leak what do I do

kcdigiacomo

Reaction score
I have 1997 7.3 with a fuel leak that seems it is coming off the back of the fuel pump, the piece that connects to the pump and has 2 lines running to each side of the block. I know I have to remove the fuel filter cannister, the turbo but do I have to take off the control mechanism on the side of the filter cannister, on the right side? Seriously lost as to what to do already ripped the turbo boot, hopefully can get a replacement.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like the "banjo" bolt. It goes through a collar that has fuel lines connected to the collar. There are two copper crush washers that go on each side of that collar and the banjo bolt screws into the fuel pump.
I did my 95 without touching the turbo or pedestal,but that was a pain. I think it was worth it to not mess with the turbo pedestal.
The banjo bolt is a 1 1/4" wrench and I just turned it very little at a time at an angle, being careful it didn't slip while reaching around the pedestal. You have to make sure the washers stayed aligned as well. Patients.
I have a thread about it on here. I rebuilt my filter bowl O rings, replaced the fuel lines between the fuel pump and filter bowl, and the fuel pump itself.
If you know or think your fuel pump is somewhat old do yourself a favor and replace the fuel pump while you're there.

1995 Ford F250 SCLB 7.3L PSD 4wd ZF5/ Luk SMF, Dana 50/ Man Lockout, Strictly Diesel Oil Dipstick Adapter, stock.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ yup.
I think I removed the engine lifting bracket and used a socket.
Do the fuel lines between the pump and filter also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

kcdigiacomo

Reaction score
79Jasper do you have a recommendation for fuel lines? I seem to have a problem with local parts places they dont seem to understand what I need since there is no part number for it in their computer, or the copper washers behind the banjo bolt. Do you recommend any other maintenance while in there?

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want them precut to length, dieselorings.com or riffraff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Diesel O Rings has great service and was my source for all of the soft parts. Super happy with them.

1995 Ford F250 SCLB 7.3L PSD 4wd ZF5/ Luk SMF, Dana 50/ Man Lockout, Strictly Diesel Oil Dipstick Adapter, stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online