Fuel leak on top motor cant find

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1997 E350 330K definite fuel leak top of motor two drips per min comming down over top of bellhousing. I undressed the top of the motor including the turbo. Now that it's been sitting I can't pinpoint the leak. The whole lifter vally is damp with fuel but no ovious leak. I thought it was the fuel drain but no dripping like the other ones I have fixed just damp. I studyed the top of the motor for hours and I do see fuel in the wire harness coming from the sensor on the side of the fuel regulator. I pulled the plug on the regulator it's full of fuel. what is this sensor?? could ALL this fuel be comming from this sensor???

In addition to the fuel drain and this sensor what else could be leaking fuel in the lifter valley??? Thanks for your input. Howards

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its possible that it could be coming from the sensor (that sensor is supposed to tell you if your filter is plugged I think) or it is possible that you have a crack in the filter housing as well. Check the fuel pump area and associated hoses off the pump to the filter regulator for leaks as well.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Look on the drivers side of the fuel bowl....there is a oil pressure looking sensor screwed into the regulator with a wire attached.

It is the filter flow sensor that tells you via idiot light to check the filter....not really needed if you do routine maint.. It is made of pot metal and is prone to leaking....remove and install a brass 1/8" plug...just snug or you risk cracking the regulator.

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuel leak top motor

Well the fuel pump is dry the lines going both way are dry and the fuel drain is dry. I have a hard time beleaving that all that fuel is comming from that sensor. So here it goes One 1/8 pipe plug it is and we will hope for the best. Thanks for your input guys

kawa

Reaction score
Besides that sensor the water indicator is also prone to cracking as it is just plastic. The fuel regulator is sealed with small O-ring (s) and it too will leak.
In fact the whole collage of the fuel filter and attachments is just one big leak waiting to happen.

It's real purpose in life is tt drive us crazy. lol :eek: :rotflmao

Rog

streaker

Reaction score
Another option to get rid of the leak is to go to an electric fuel system, then you copletely eliminate the problemLOL

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuel leak top motor

Thanks for everybodys input I put the pipe plug in and crossed my fingers. It worked now were on the road again on our way to 400K Thanks Again PS good thing I took the turbo off to check for the leak or I woulden't have found the broken actuator rod on the exhaust valve!!!!!

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Mine is leaking too, but I think it is the banjo bolt?

Attachments

• Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 8

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
My 2001 I had, pin holed the pressure line from the passenger head back to the pump. It leaked for awhile then it ruptured 30mi from town. Washed out a new clutch and was hell for me to change. I don't know if I could have done it with the trans in place. (being a bigger fellow isn't always good)

skycranemech

Reaction score
get a fuel drain rebuild kit, leaks then runs back to the drain hole in the valley an runs down the bell housing , if it were oil it would be the torbo pedestal o'rings.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
you got a part number for this?

Forget about a rebuild kit. Go to a local hydraulic supply house and get two -202 orings preferably in Viton. Remove fuel bowl then remove the screws on the drain lever housing and you'll see the two orings. I've heard it's possible to get to the screws without removing the fuel bowl but it seems too tight an area IMO.

Cost: <$1.00

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
the fuel drain has a hose on it? could it be the lines going to the fuel pump? Those green ones don't' look perfect?

Attachments

• Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 8

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
the fuel drain has a hose on it?

Yup, the fuel drain is connected to a hose that's connected to a steel tube that dumps fuel under the truck when yellow valve is opened. Look under your fuel bowl. If it's bone dry down there the leak is rearward near the fuel pump. Get a can of brake cleaner and spray under there until it drains through the hole in the valley. ONLY DO THIS ON A COLD OR SLIGHTLY WARM ENGINE. Recheck for drips once clean.