Fuel leak into IP?

bjorkmae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If my truck sits for about 4 days then I go to start it starts right up and dies. I can start it again if I crank and crank with the pedal to the floor. It only does this when it sits a for 4 days. Otherwise it runs fine with plenty of power. I believe that the input to the IP is leaking as the line can be wiggled quite a bit and I have already tried tightening it. I can't visually see any fuel leak but the valley pan always has a bit a fuel laying in it. The gas milage isn't even bad, so I think its only leaking down when it sits. Does anyone know the size of the fitting so I can just put a nipple on the IP and run a rubber fuel hose to my filters?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The olives on the fuel line are easily replaced. This may be your issue, but whatever the cause you definitely have an air intrusion.

bjorkmae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so normally there is a hard line from the filter head to the IP, but since I replaced my filter with a dual heated filter assembly I had to cut the hard line and run a rubber line from the filters to the cut hard line that then goes to the IP. Since then I noticed the problem. What are these "olives" where can I get them, part number? Thanks in advance!

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any diesel shop will have them that works on other trucks. I call them line sleeves. they should only be a buck or two each. the ones on the fuel line from filter to IP are 5/16" and from lift pump to filter are 3/8".

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would put the lift pump on the suspect list-- I would guess the leak is in the other direction, thats what happened to me took forever to diagnose and apparently it is not an uncommon failure after 15 years.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being that it starts right up and then dies sounds like lift pump to me or an air leak at the filter. Sounds like when you fire it up it runs the filter dry and then sucks air. Next time you start it run the revs up a little and see if you can keep it from dieing. If it just stumbles and then smooths back out and runs fine then I am on the right track.

bjorkmae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lift pump has been replaced and by pased by an electrical pump.