fuel issue?

smokinbaby

coal lover
Reaction score
ok i bought this truck it had a blown head gasket... i rebuilt the top end and timed it. it wont start on its own. but when u pull start it it fires up has no power and puts out this white/grey smoke. when it fires up it will run for about 10 sec even if you hold it to the floor. then it dies.... but you can let the clutch right back out and it will start again... bad incjectors?? it did the same thing before i rebuild the top end...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One tooth off on the gears that drive the injection pump?

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like the problem I had......could be 180 degrees out of time. I had that happen and it would start after lots of cranking and then it would have no power and just dump grey smoke!

smokinbaby

coal lover
Reaction score
well i cant say its exactly on time since i didnt remove the front cover but i can.... but why would it act the same way it did before the rebuild? i had to replace the valves too lots of coolant build up on them.... and when i pulled one of the injectors out it had new rust on it...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So if I'm reading correctly you posted that you did not remove the injection pump gear cover. Thats ok. Now did you remove the injection pump. If you did then you probably have the pump really retarded. Any chance you made a mark on the pump and housing before you removed the pump if you di....:dunno

smokinbaby

coal lover
Reaction score
ill be damned if it wasnt 180 out.. old ***** fired right up like the day she left the dealership..... thank for all the info