Fuel Injection Pump

Robert Thompso

Reaction score
I have a 1998.5 5.9 24 valve 3500 dodge ram and am confronted with a fuel injection pump replacement...........can I get a kit to rebuild & how would I go about it...........a remanufactued price is $2600.00:puke:........I need to minimize my expenses because I've been out of work for 18 months-cuss.........Help!!!

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The VP44 is only rebuildable by Bosch repair shops. There are no rebuild kits for you to DIY. You can buy a rebuilt version but unless you address the root cause of the failure you're just going to burn the replacement up as well. A wise investment would be a fuel pressure gauge and a new transfer pump so that you can keep the VP supplied with fuel and will know when the transfer pump starts to die.

$2600 is way overpriced for the stock replacement VP44. You can usually go to one of the vendors and get a rebuilt VP for about half of that.

smokn bio

Work Truck!
Reaction score
I have a extra Vp44 I purchase for a motor I will no longer be using it is new and has its one year warranty. Wire tap is okay to do. If you would like it call me $1100 shipped to your door. Bobby 206.396.4189

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The VP44 is only rebuildable by Bosch repair shops. There are no rebuild kits for you to DIY. You can buy a rebuilt version but unless you address the root cause of the failure you're just going to burn the replacement up as well. A wise investment would be a fuel pressure gauge and a new transfer pump so that you can keep the VP supplied with fuel and will know when the transfer pump starts to die.

$2600 is way overpriced for the stock replacement VP44. You can usually go to one of the vendors and get a rebuilt VP for about half of that.

agreed make sure that transfer pump is working or ur wasting ur money quick, an yea i can get a VP new from dodge for 1500 or better, and there are other places that rebuild them heres a good website that ive ordered many things from and its only $1020 http://www.rollinsmokediesel.com/cat-fuel-systempumps1.cfm or just get the one from smokin bio. Either way check the transfer pump first thing!

Pele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a VP44 rebuilt for $1049 with warranty.

I got an AirDog 165 with it. (For additional money of course.)
The AirDog is a fuel system that includes a high flow pump, a two stage filtration system down to 3 microns with water separation, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, upgraded fuel pickup that goes into the tank, and new 1/2 inch Inner Diameter fuel hose that goes from the tank to the front of the truck.

Here's the page for the vendor I used:
http://www.dieselautopower.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=vp44+Combo
He's got a special for $1300 it includes the VP44 as well as an upgraded lift pump.

Pele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a VP44 rebuilt for $1049 with warranty.

I got an AirDog 165 with it. (For additional money of course.)
The AirDog is a fuel system that includes a high flow pump, a two stage filtration system down to 3 microns with water separation, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, upgraded fuel pickup that goes into the tank, and new 1/2 inch Inner Diameter fuel hose that goes from the tank to the front of the truck.

Here's the page for the vendor I used:
http://www.dieselautopower.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=vp44+Combo
He's got a special for $1300 it includes the VP44 as well as an upgraded lift pump.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only VP44 I will use on anything is from BlueChip. I have used his pumps many times now and I won't waste my money buying from anyone else. His pumps are the best hands down. They are more money but you will get what you pay for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online