Fuel Gauge No Work

dieselM715

Feep builder
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just bought a 1995 F350 crew cab with a 5.8/ZF5spd 4x4. The gas gauge dosen't work. Any ideas as to what might be the problem,it has dual tanks.
I'm running off the front tank, I think, at least the where the switch is set at. I've tried the rear tank, the truck runs off it too. The gauge dosen't work for ether tank.

Thanks

tractorman86

Reaction score
i'd try the switch, what do the tanks read on the guage, full on one and empty on the other? try the tank selector valve

dieselM715

Feep builder
Reaction score
it dosn't matter what position the switch is in it reads empty. The warning lite for the fuel door being open dosen't work ether. Being a fuel injected engine,it dosen't have a tank selector valve,at least that what the Haynes book says. Its like the gauge is not hooked up. All my other gauges work fine.
I'm going to have the place I bought it from look at it tomarrow.

Thanks for the reply.

dieselM715

Feep builder
Reaction score
From what I read, when you flip the tank slector switch, the in tank pumps change and there is a check valve in the lines to make sure the unused fuel returns to that tank.I looked under the truck,I didn't find any valve to control the fuel mounted in the fuel line.