Fuel fittings leaking... again

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well I thought I had it fixed, but in the back of my mind I knew as soon as I mentioned something I would regret it.
I put aviation permatex on the pipe fitting threads on my fuel system and they stopped leaking for a couple days but now its back to the same old BS. I don't know what to do with this crap. I'm seriously thinking about brazing the fittings to the fuel pump and regulator. :backoff-cuss

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Sean,
Please don't get upset- but, are you absolutely positive that the threads are where the fuel is coming from? How much pressure are you running? Go ahead and pull it off, get it under a good light and check with a magnifying glass for micro cracks in the body? Also, is there any side loading on the fitting? I only ask these things because this leak seems to defy all known methods of repair...

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea, I waited several hours before running the pump and the stuff still hadn't dried, I don't know if that is the problem, if I need to make sure the stuff is completely dry or what. I waited like 3 hours the last time for it to dry and I needed to leave. I saw it wasn't completely dry but figured the bottle only said it took several minutes to set up.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
No worries biofarmer. Not gonna get upset at anyone here. I'm just sick of this leak. It leaks so bad I could tell the difference on my fuel gauge from the days it was sealed to the day it started leaking. I bet it leaks out over a gallon of fuel in the 80 miles I drive per day.

The regulator is the biggest problem, I haven't even looked at the pump, I'm just assuming since the regulator started leaking again odds are the pump is too. The regulator is mounted on my wheel well, and there is no load on the fittings, I have lots of slack in the hoses.
If there are cracks in this thing they must have been there from the beginning because I started out tightnening them snug just like I have any other pipe fitting and they still leaked.
I'm running 6psi after the regulator. I'm not sure what the pump puts out but its like 17psi or something along those lines. So its running 17psi before and 6psi after the regulator.

Tarantula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel lines

I have had similar problems with leaky fuel connections. I feel your pain. I have heard there a product called rectorseal at plumbing supply stores that is rated for fuel oil that works very well (so sayth the interweb). I am going to make a trip to the plumbing supply store one of these days and find out for my self.

Well I thought I had it fixed, but in the back of my mind I knew as soon as I mentioned something I would regret it.
I put aviation permatex on the pipe fitting threads on my fuel system and they stopped leaking for a couple days but now its back to the same old BS. I don't know what to do with this crap. I'm seriously thinking about brazing the fittings to the fuel pump and regulator. :backoff-cuss

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Time to scrap the pump and install a hlooey red and be done with this leaks..... I can ship a used holley red thats worn out. It can be used with the upper motor off the hlooey blue you are running. The pump end is fine....

Exekiel69

Reaction score
WHy do You use permatex on the return lines or caps? They should work with out. Is like using starting fluid on this engines, no need.

You provably checked this out 1000 times but are the caps sitting all the way IN, did You use vaseline to help them sit, You can use a deep socket and a small hammer to tap them IN. Are the return hose sections the right length?

I would discard a blockage on the return lines bc that would just turn off the engine. Are You using electric pump? How much pressure? Does Your return line circle back to the ff or it goes straight to the tank?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Its not the return caps leaking its the fittings on the holley pressure regulator. Both the blue marine pump and the regulator were brand new when I started working on this thing. They have leaked the entire time no matter what I've done with them.