Fuel filter.............

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
any favorite brands?
I didn't change the fuel filter when I bought the truck in Oct:sorry:
I used a NAPA on my IDI but these PSD's are new to me ........
so ..Who's got the best fuel filter?

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about best one. I get mine from NAPA and they always work for me. I don't remember exact price. Around 25.00 I think:confused:

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
Only brand I use in my truck is Motorcraft and part of the reason I use them is cause I get them cheap....;)

B

Big K

I've used Baldwin products for 15+ years, and have complete faith in them. NAPA should have good stuff, and Wix is another good one.
Just my $.02

Paul

Dunce
Reaction score
Motorcraft. Dunno if it's best or not but the main thing is that I haven't read too many complaints.

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:) I get my fuel filters fron International and oil filters at Wal-mart they have Motorcraft. International is 18.95 for fuel filters. Wal-mart is 9.95 for oil filters.:cool

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Went with the NAPA gold........$30 They are made by WIX so
they should be :cool

Anyone do a fuel system "******"?
Fill the fuel filter with either Stanadyne or Sea Foam to flush out the system?
Did it once a year on the IDI, just to give it a good ennema!

Can this work on the PSD fuel syst?

At less than $10, the Motorcraft FL1995 at WallWorld is a good buy for the oil filter. Ran them on my IDI for almost 300kmi!

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Go here and order you're Filters The Racor is OEM & cost's about $16.00 each, but if you get a case of them (or they are on special) they are even cheaper:D

I've been ordering my filters from DIS since 98 & never had a problem. Have also got other things from them & their customer service is excellent not to mention their prices!!!!!!

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Originally posted by geonc

Anyone do a fuel system "******"?
Fill the fuel filter with either Stanadyne or Sea Foam to flush out the system?
Did it once a year on the IDI, just to give it a good ennema!

Can this work on the PSD fuel syst?

I use NAPA carb or brake cleaner. Just pull the fuel filter & spray the can in the filter housing. Let it sit for a while and drain the housing as best as possible. Spray again (use about 1/3 can each time) and again soak for 10-15 min.

Then I drain & take a papertowel & screwstick & wipe out the inside of the housing as best as possible.

Spray remaining can into housing with the drain open to flush.

Also drain the filterhousing every 2-3 months after the truck sits overnight as diesel floats on water. Then I also "power flush" every now and again when the PSD is running. Just open the yellow drain **** & let it flow for 5-10 seconds.

Have you put a tube over hte stock fuel drain to extend it so you don't get diesel over everything when draining??

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ramprat
Go here and order you're Filters The Racor is OEM (it's also the best fuel filter on the market) & cost's about $16.00 each, but if you get a case of them (or they are on special) they are even cheaper:D

I've been ordering my filters from DIS since 98 & never had a problem. Have also got other things from them & their customer service is excellent not to mention their prices!!!!!!

Ggg

Reaction score
I like Motorcraft, Donaldson, Baldwin, Racor, or I.H. fuel,oil, and air filters.
NAPA Gold is the only NAPA to consider. It is made to a certain specification.
WIX, and the lower grade NAPA filters I do not like at all. The reason is they do not make their own filters. They put a batch of filter #'s out for bid. So whoever wins the low bid for that group of filter #'s is who makes that batch. So quality can be suspect.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Ggg:
"NAPA Gold is the only NAPA to consider. It is made to a certain specification.
WIX, and the lower grade NAPA filters I do not like "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NAPA gold is made by WIX............Yes , WIX does produce filters for many others tho.
There are only a few mfrs that actually make their own filters......

Who do you think makes Motorcraft?
I like Baldwin but they are hard to find locally for the PSD.

Rampy:
"I use NAPA carb or brake cleaner. Just pull the fuel filter & spray the can in the filter housing. Let it sit for a while and drain the housing as best as possible. Spray again (use about 1/3 can each time) and again soak for 10-15 min.

Then I drain & take a papertowel & screwstick & wipe out the inside of the housing as best as possible.

Thats interesting as when I removed the filter, the canister was a clean and clear as could be!
NO residue,crystal clear fuel, no signs of "THE BLACK DEATH".....
{injector "O" ring failure}

Mebee the Stanadyne every 1500mi / 2 weeks
is doing it's job!

And YES I have put a drain extension on the tube.
I HATE smelling hot diesel:mad:

BTW, Tnose prices are :smoke: Thanx!

I see that you also use the term "screwstick":D I'm fond of using "thumbwrech" as well!

Thanx for the input!

Ggg

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge the Motorcraft filters used on the assembly line are made by Champion labs. The Motorcraft filters we can buy at the stores are mostly made by Purolator, yes some are made by WIX but not the ones for a PSD. Ford supplies the specifications and filter element to Purolator. I agree Baldwin can be hard to find. I get mine at Kenworth truck dealers. BTW nice hobby you have there. (****)