fuel filter

CH302K

Reaction score
My fuel filter light is coming.I'm new to the 7.3 idi world and could use some help on how to change and what to look for while I'm doing it.
Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Get a new filter and fill it with trans fluid directly from the bottle to the outer ring of holes in the filter head. That way any dirt will be caught in the filter and not the pump. Never pour anything in the center big hole.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Get a new filter and fill it with trans fluid directly from the bottle to the outer ring of holes in the filter head. That way any dirt will be caught in the filter and not the pump. Never pour anything in the center big hole.

Which is the opposite of the engine oil filter. Just in case you were wondering.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mel I'm going to look at my filter heads on the spare oil coolers I have. I have always thought the center of the oil filter was the clean oil and the dirty oil went in the outer area of the filter. Now you have me rethinking everything just because we are not thinking alike.. There is a disturbance in the system...:angel:

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep trans fluid helps flush out that IP. Think of it like preventative maintenance.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filler her up with ATF as mentioned and run it. As stated it will run a little rough for a minute or so bleeding any air out, but thats the right way to go about it. Just did mine about a week ago.

I took it s step furthur and installed a pre filter before my pump to help keep the big expensive filter clean longer and I can visibility of my fuel.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
After reading the question about my posting of adding trans fluid to the fuel filter I now understand the questioning. I should have said automatic transmission fluid. Why... Well if someone read this and had some heavy standard trans gear fluid and used that...:eek: I kinda would really feel bad about it. So thanks all for helping to send the correct message...:Q

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also would not use atf if its really cold where you live. Pump does not like thick stuff.

wmoguy

Reaction score
also would not use atf if its really cold where you live. Pump does not like thick stuff.

yea Gary doesn't know what cold is where he lives. (9 degrees here this morning at IDI startup) ;Really

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel I'm going to look at my filter heads on the spare oil coolers I have. I have always thought the center of the oil filter was the clean oil and the dirty oil went in the outer area of the filter. Now you have me rethinking everything just because we are not thinking alike.. There is a disturbance in the system...:angel:

All filters like this are outside in flow correct?? The reason for the center tube is to prevent element collapse. if you were to pump something inside out you could break the element apart if the pressure differential across the element became too great. (on a cold start for instance.)
I would have to agree with gary on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle