Fuel Filter/Water Seperator

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They say a picture is worth a lot of words, so this is what Im replacing..

You must be registered for see images attach

Seems pretty straightforward. Unscrew the bottom piece, drain. Remove filter from top piece, replace?

Any advice would be great as Im getting ready to do this in a few minutes. I did pick up some diesel to fill the new filter with.

Tips on starting???

TIA, jon

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
The main thing is to bleed it at the valve on the side of the filter head. Put fuel on the o rings.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on this valve (where it is)? What do you mean by o-rings? My filter came with a rubber gasket???

Thx!

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This?

Can I just unscrew it like a schrader valve? Any other tips?

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
The valve is the thing that looks like a tire valve stem. Driver side of filter housing. Lube any rubber with clean diesel

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Sorry don't unscrew the Schrader valve just push the pin till clean fuel flows

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just unscrew as I mentioned above after depressuring with the valve?

Any tips on starting?

gandalf

Reaction score
This?

Can I just unscrew it like a schrader valve? Any other tips?

I just push the center stem a bit, let any pressure off, if there is any. You also have to disconnect a wire from the bottom, and the drain tube if it's still there. I take the bottom section and the filter element off as a unit, and then separate them. There IS a circular rubber ring between the filter and the housing above it. Be sure it's there when you screw the new filter on. Lube it a bit too.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any advice on how to get the filter off lol? Cant get it by hand and dont have an oil filter wrench big enough to get on it...

Oh, and btw, when I pressed the shrader valvve to depress nothing came out??

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
When I first got my donor truck, I tried to remove the lower part of the filter setup because it was leaking and it just spun around. I ended up tearing the whole filter apart to get it off there. Then I found you can use a 1 piece filter and do away with that whole cluster.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went into town today to get the truck/tractor filter wrench. Came right off.

There was a bunch of sand/sediment in the top of the filter and bottom of the bowl. Also what I poured out looks like mirky *** for the most part. Is this normal?

Putting back together now. Tips on starting?? Just normal??

Mherriford

Reaction score
fill the filter with diesel, or atf then start the truck as normal, I kept the rpms up a little once started. (just did mine for the first time about an hour ago!)

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tips on starting: Yeah only change the filter on a warm engine as trying to start these back up cold with air in the system is not fun. So always do it while its warm or plug the block heater in to help out. I also fill the entire filter with either Lubro Moly diesel purge or Diesel kleen in the grey bottle.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put everything back together (filter filled to the brim with diesel), held the gas to the floor, and she fired right back up first bump. Did a 10min idle to get up to temp, checked for leaks, and went up the road.

Wow the difference! Im thinking my filter light isnt working properly. Going by the amount of crap in the old filter and the bottom its a wonder it was still running at all. Its a lot smoother across the powerband and idles better. Doesnt try to cut off everytime you come to a stop.

Oh, and I had already put a bottle of Diesel Kleen in it with fresh fuel yesterday. I may add another bottle just because of all the nastiness in the old filter.