Fuel Filter relocate??

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I am going to install a turbo on my van. As I was looking over the install I came up with the idea of moving the fuel filter assembly from the top of the engine to a spot down underneath, near the fuel tank switch and my electric pump. If you have never seen a van setup, the spot they put the filter makes it a royal pain to change the filter, and adding the turbo only makes things worse. The only downside I can see to putting it down below is that it might be alot cooler down there, so it might be smart to run a heating line back there for winter use.
Any problems I am missing?

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I guess it can be mted. anywhere, & down there should work especially with an electric pump. If heating issues are of concern then yes, coolant lines for heat works, & insulate.

I got tons of stuff moved from engine compartment...coolant overflow, windshield washer, vacuum can, etc.
I still have my fuel filter up close to original spot for different reason, though I've totally changed to a different filter & filter head....cheaper & better.

I got so much room under the hood I could throw a sleeping bag & camp out...:D

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
The only bad thing I can think of is, when you go to change the filter, you may get a constant stream of fuel coming from the line because the filter is now lower than the tank. Not sure if the pump will slow or stop the flow, mine didn't seem to. While not a bad thing, it will be messy.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
The only bad thing I can think of is, when you go to change the filter, you may get a constant stream of fuel coming from the line because the filter is now lower than the tank. Not sure if the pump will slow or stop the flow, mine didn't seem to. While not a bad thing, it will be messy.
Yes that's right. I have other filters added below on frame & a cut off valve...not switched off, It'll run all over 'ya from head to toes & siphon your tank dry

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, good point, I'll put a valve on each side of the filter so I can isolate it when I change the filter (also a good anti-theft feature!)
I think I should also keep the return up at the high point, to clear air out before the pump. I have already replaced the junky stock check valve in the filter assy with a nice industrial hydaulic unit (low cracking pressure)
Jay

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mounted mine down on the frame on the Moosestang. When I change the filter, there is a little drain off coming from the injection pump feed, but nothing from the tank. I think shut off valves may be overkill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge140

Members online