Fuel Filter Light after Carrier Pump Swap

ksingltn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried searching to no avail.
I did the Facet Duralift swap using a pump from the genlightning group buy. Ever since I did the swap, I have had a fuel filter light under load, which fades out when I upshift or let out on the throttle. It's especially bad when towing. Truck seems to run fine, but the light only started showing the day I did the swap, so I feel it is directly related to the pump. Fuel filter has maybe 40 miles on it, I swapped it last week for a new one which had no effect on the light. Seems to be worse in cooler weather.

Anyone else having this issue?

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not familiar with that year of truck. What does the light indicate? If it's a differential pressure light, meaning lower pressure on the outlet than on the inlet, it could mean filter doesn't have enough flow to match what the pump can deliver. In other words, to much pressure on one side of the filter. Did you buy the lowest pressure Duralift pump?

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That light illuminates under vacuum. The IP is "sucking" too hard because the pump supply is inadequate. I'd check for a partially clogged FSV, gunk, or a kink blocking inlet flow, and proper wiring to support the amp pull of the pump.

Is the pump getting a clean power run directly off the battery through a relay? Is it configured to suck fuel or push it(down by tanks or up at filter head)?

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first guess is no power to Duralift. Or, possibly inadequate power.

Here's how mine is wired:

You must be registered for see images attach

In the above photo, the relay with the yellow wire on it is my pump relay. Coil is powered by FSS wire, and there's a 5A fuse inline for pump power pulled from the starter solenoid constant-hot terminal.

ksingltn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is pump located?

Pump is next to the pass. battery tray, very similar to the guruat12's above. Using a relay, hot wire off the solenoid to the relay with the relay triggered by the fuel solenoid on the IP. I'll get a pic in a couple hours when I get off work.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Try removing the pump screen. Then test run the truck. If the light still comes on you can bet its not the screen filter but something else like a kink in the suppy line

ksingltn

Full Access Member
Reaction score

there's the mount setup currently, will be cleaned up before long.

Screen looks clean, will try pulling it if it starts doing it again. Tried to make the light come on on the way home, was dragging an empty 18ft car hauler. Could not get the light to come on. Go figure, I talk about it and the truck starts behaving. I am going to go through and triple check all my electrical.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember somebody having a problem with stirring crap up in the tank after switching to e-pump because it's returning more fuel and stirring it up. Anybody else remember that or am I nuts?

Did you replace your shower heads or are they swimming around in the tank?

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember somebody having a problem with stirring crap up in the tank after switching to e-pump because it's returning more fuel and stirring it up. Anybody else remember that or am I nuts?

Did you replace your shower heads or are they swimming around in the tank?

Oh, wow, good memory. That was me: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?63898-Attention-Duralift-Users&highlight=

I didn't even put that together, I forgot all about it. 1980-1986 doesn't have the sensor and indicator, so I must not have thought about it.

I'll bet that's the OP's problem, I found a few other people who discovered the same issue upon replacing their fuel lines!

ksingltn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting, I haven't heard about the extra return fuel causing a stir. I yanked what was left of the showerheads as best I could when I first got the truck 3.5 years ago, and did the hose trick. There may still be pieces floating about though.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When I dropped both of my tanks all the shower head pieces were on the bottom of the tank. Nothing floating. Sadly I did not know I could have and should have left the front tank in place. The sender level head comes out no problems with the tank in the truck. The rear is another story. Because I had the usual issue with sucking the last 1/4 of the tank fuel when dropping the tanks I had issues with balance. Sure as hell I drained the fuel before they went back up. We really should warn members that any left over shower head parts will get sucked into the fuel tank switching valve and foul it up. Many have learned this the hard way when both tanks are full they still get air in the lines. Reason is the valve can't change over completely to the other tank. Then air sucks in.

ksingltn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after a couple months of not really driving the truck much (i have the use of a 08 CCLB 6.4 4X4 6 spd for a while) I figured out what was causing the light, and it may be a good tip for others with this pump. The light was coming on because my fuel pump relay was dying. On the way to work today, the light was on at anything above 1k RPM, and truck felt weak. Got to work (8 mile drive) and tried to start the truck an hour later and got a 30 second run before she died and would not start. Bypassed relay and she fired right up after cracking a couple injector lines, replaced relay in parking lot and drove home with no filter light and much more power.

So my advice to others with this pump, if you see your fuel filter light start coming on and changing the filter doesn't fix it, you most likely have a power problem. Thanks to those that suggested this, it was just hard to find since it was showing 12v across the relay.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Good to know thanks for posting this, I may just upgrade my relay, the china made one I bought at nappa looks really cheezy. I'm going to look around and see what I can find.
Glad you got it straightened out.