fuel filter housing

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys there is a blue wire which runs to the top of the fuel filter housing on a 89 7.3 its more towards the passenger side of the housing, can anyone tell me what it does? mine is seeping fuel out of the sender and i was wondering if i need to buy a new housing or sender or just rtv it?
thanks gunnie

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Does it have a small spade in the middle, look like it has rounded ends and flat sides on the plastic piece around it? If so, that is the fuel heater. I believe they are prone to leaking, although mine doesn't yet (I have the 7.3 filter and head on my 6.9 to eliminate the water separator on the firewall).

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would anyone happen to have a part #? i wonder if its really needed, i've been thru most of this truck lately just keep finding gremlins.
thanks, gunnie

pwrdbyidi

Reaction score
Fuel Heater
IH part # 1816602C91 ~$90
Ford equivalent ~$175

It mounts in the housing. You must remove the filter and the fitting that the filter screws on to. The heater should pop right down.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I was thinking there was an oring up there as well that could be changed, but I am new to this filter head, only had mine on the 6.9 for about a year.

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i pulled the spade connector out cleaned the opening with brake cleaner and filled it with rtv. stopped the fuel leak, its been around 10 degrees F here last few days and no problems caused by the fix.

pwrdbyidi

Reaction score
There is a replaceable o-ring, but many times the fuel leaks up through the center spade connector.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online