Fuel Filter Change

JLep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running B100 in my 6.9, it's been running great. I will need to change the fuel filter soon though, you know since biodiesel is a solvent it cleans the lines. Anyway, I asked someone else about changing the fuel filter and they said you need to disengage the glow plug relay. That way when you put on a new empty filter you don't burn out the plugs. Any info on how it's done and also where the glow plug relay is. Thanks!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disengaging the glow plugs is smart if you expect a lot of extended cranking. However, a fuel filter swap should not be that painfull. Most folks pour some stanadyne, or other highly regarded fuel treatment in the new filter, which shortens the cranking even more. An electric fuel pump will also remedy this problem.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah what he said! I did mine not long ago and simply poured power service in the new filter, spun it on there and she fired right up like I didn't just change the filter. ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah I fill mine up with a 50/50 mix of diesel and power service. I fill it up to the brim, then carefully spin it on. My truck doesnt even sputter, it just fires right up and idles ;Sweet

JLep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great! Thanks all for the advice. For future reference where is the glow plug relay or how would I go about disengaging them?

Boy, what a great truck. I see why there are so many of you all who love these trucks and the motors. Simply beautiful motor.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great! Thanks all for the advice. For future reference where is the glow plug relay or how would I go about disengaging them?

Boy, what a great truck. I see why there are so many of you all who love these trucks and the motors. Simply beautiful motor.

On my 1985, the glow-plug relay was on the right fender-well, next to the voltage regulator.

It is an oblong plastic gizmo with a stud-terminal at each end.

I need to find that thing; it might prove useful for relaying something else.

I never done anything special, other than filling the filter to the brim, screw it on, and drive away.

One very important thing about pre-filling any filter, oil or fuel, is to ONLY pour the fuel/oil into the outer ring of holes, NEVER straight in the center; that way, only filtered fuel reaches the pump.

Also, to avoid a mess, slip an old bread-sack over the filter, before screwing it off; this contains any mess you might make.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online