Fuel filter change not going nearly as smooth as it should

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I get mine at Parts For Trucks locally....Any baldwin dealer should have them. I pay around $10cdn for them. I don't drive my truck very much so I only change it spring and fall out of paranoia...LOL

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I got my truck in '08 with 232,000 miles. I now just registered 280,000. Still have 12,000 miles to go before the filter needs servicing.:D Seriously though, I have one new filter on in that time frame. The service manual says 60,000 intervals for the fuel filter so if I am not having any problems, I leave it alone. Aside from going to the rally, I usually only buy fuel from one station and have never gotten a bad batch.

My fuel filter light came on on my way to Jared's house a few weeks ago and it struck me as very odd. I actually didn't know I had this light and was surprised that the circuit still operated properly. LOL:angel:I was underneath working on the truck prior to that so I figured I had to stir something up......always trace your steps backwards when a problem arises and ask why is this happening? I had a hunch and didn't think my filter was the culprit so after we bought Home Depot out of half their electrical dept for his new service, I stopped at the parts store for a few feet of fuel line and new hose clamps. I had been under the truck molesting things around as I had just put a couple of new freeze plugs in the block and remember moving the fuel supply line around and it becoming dislodged from the clips that run across the frame member from left to right. Sure enough, the rubber line to the lift pump was hard and had a bad kink in it and the lift pump and IP were starving for fuel under hard acceleration. 6" of new fuel line, problem solved. I think this is the same line that gave Ron problems at the 2011 rally.

Moral of the story........the fuel filtration system is usually pretty reliable, unless you are running cocktails or buy from a questionable station, the filter is good for more miles than we give them credit for most times.

Another note, keep the tanks full to the brim when storing the truck for extended periods to avoid condensation buildup.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10$.....i spent.62! if i find that filter I'll get one and keep it behind the seat as a spare along with some seafoam and wd40 ofcourse :) bigrig how much.howes do you use to treat a tank?

What do you classify as long for storing Goose, weeks or months?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I know putting $130 in a truck that is getting parked is tough in this economy but if I know its going to me more than 2-3 weeks, I try to top things off. It will prevent the condensation as stated and the metal walls of the tank will be covered in diesel thus preventing rust scale as well. On the flip side of the coin, it's like having money in the bank when you go to use the truck again the full tanks sure is nice.;Sweet

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Hastings FF1039sp great long lasting filter, just screw it on, no extra parts needed

Javier

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And since we're on the subject, I'd like to know what that little "tire" valve is for in the factory sediment bowl - any ideas?

When you open the water drain valve, the knurled knob that you turn threads up towards the bowl and the back side of the knob pushes against the Schrader valve opening it. The Schrader valve is a vent. The water won't drain out without the filter being vented.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I put in about a cup of Howes with each fillup during the winter. I only put 7500km on it in two years, if she leaves the yard it's time to make some money....LOL

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Hastings and Baldwin filters are the same thing one is red one is white. Only place around here that has them is fleet pride. They're over $30 there. I ordered a few from amazon. Can't remember the cost but it wasn't $30.