fuel filter bracket

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I saw this on the web and started thinking that this is a good idea to fabricate a bracket to move the fuel filter. It would move it away from #1 injector and glow plug. Also it will allow you to use a longer Racor S3225S 2 MICRON filter, thats why I am considering doing it. I have searched and the best filter we can get is a 7 micron Donaldson, the wix and napa are 13 micron. It will also make draining an changing the filter a little easier.
So my questions are:
Has anyone done this?
How has it worked out for you?
Some pictures would be nice also.

Attachments

• IM000049-1.jpg
    IM000049-1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 83

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats a pretty easy and trick way to do it!
may wanna run a flex filter to IP line also.
those hard lines are the only thing i see that would b e a pita to make work, but then again,
some 3/8 steel fuel line and a 45* flare, would work.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice idea. I think that will work well. Do wonder why the wastegate is not connected.....

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a serpentine-belt truck you can build the filter tower off the alternator, and ditch the factory setup completely. But yeah we had something similar on our IDI, except it had two filters - the factory 12-micron 7.3 head got replaced by a 6.9 head that can run 6-micron filters, then the 7.3 head got relocated to an extension of the factory filter tower right next to the alternator. The steel feed line from the lift pump got tweaked to reach the new inlet's location, then a short piece of rubber hose between the 7.3 head and the 6.9 one, and from there to the IP again the factory steel line.

Running something similar yet different now - 6.9 head got removed, 7.3 head got moved back to its factory location, an Econoline van 6.9 tower got installed behind the compressor on the driver-side of the engine, and the truck IP feed line got removed and replaced by one for a van. Lift pump still feeds into the 7.3 head, then fuel travels across the engine to the 6.9 head, then back down and over to the IP. Stacked filtration system with all factory parts and filters that can be had at any parts store. May not work with a turbo tho, depending on which one ya got.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
thats a pretty easy and trick way to do it!
may wanna run a flex filter to IP line also.
those hard lines are the only thing i see that would b e a pita to make work, but then again,
some 3/8 steel fuel line and a 45* flare, would work.

Flares are exactly what I was thinking. I have no Idea about the wastegate I found this pic on the net. I want a better filter but I am trying not to have two or definitely don't want one underneath (not in the snow belt) and this will allow room for a 2 micron Racor s3225s. I bet someone makes it in 1 piece also. Also It is easy and cheap. I want a new Racor 445 or 460 with built in primer, but I don't want to spend they coin.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
9-liter IH engines have a filter head with a built-in primer, filters are cheap and can go as low as 2 microns also. We have one of those, just no time to install it. And there is the matter of whether to use it as a primary or secondary filter, which will the primer deal with better, I'm thinking pushing fuel is easier for it so it should go in as a primary filter then, no? It's an all-metal piston-type primer pump btw.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Racor says you can use a water separator before or after the fuel pump, but they recommend before the pump. The one with the primer I would use as a primary filter so you can prime the other filter with it.