Fuel Fill Problem

JROHRER

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am having a problem filling my tank with diesel fuel. When I try to fill, the fuel backs up into the filler neck and cuts off the pump. I have to let the fuel go down into the tank before I can resume. Slow or fast fill doesn't seem to matter. It wouldn't be back except it takes about 15 minutes to fill it up.

I checked the one way valve on top of the tank and it seems to be working.

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck does the exact same thing. I just live with it. But if anybody knows whats causing it i would sure like to know. It would just be one more thing i need to put on my list.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
When I dropped my front tank it did the same thing afterwards. I ended up pinching the vent line that runs up filler neck. It took forever to fill and if i filled it to fast it foam over. I ended up pulling the filler neck fixing the vent and it been fine sense.

JROHRER

Reaction score
Thanks for the INFO

Thanks for all the info!! Just got my truck back from the trans rebuild. I've got several fixes to do.

You all are a great source of information!!

Jon:thumbsup:

Billyisgr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is doing something similar right now, exept it will not take any fuel. I noticed there was a liner inside the filler hose, this liner moved around, and now I can't see it any more, I think it got pushed down into the filler tube and folded itself over. If I try to fill it up, not even a cup will go in, and it sits there for about 15 seconds before draining into the tank, I need to take it apart to see what happened inside the filler neck.. I will post what I find when I do.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does that too. I took the tank breather off and gutted it, and it's a little better, but I still can't put the nozzle clear in and hold it on. I may have to look into doing something further.

Billyisgr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, on mine the ruber liner had slipped way down, and I could just see it looking into the filler neck. I made up a 1/8 x 1/2" flat bar with a a couple of sharp prongs on the end in the vise. I was able to slip it down into the filler neck and grab the rubber liner. I pulled it back up and was able to be put it back where it belongs. Without taking the tank off, anybody know what holds this liner in place? It will slip back down again, but atleast now I have the hook to just grab it and pull it back. My understanding about this rubber liner is that it carries the fuel to the tank, and the tank vents back to the filler neck in between the liner and the steel pipe. So when this liner comes off, the fuel goes down between the liner and pipe, and will not go past the one way valve. and causes the slow fillup.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on the year and recall campaign ,there is a rubber hose inside the tank filler, the vent is around the outside of that, the hose sags over time and pinches off the flow, easy fix is to pull the neck and cut the hose off a couple inches after the neck so it will vent. The other way is to do the mod, then you can actually get a full tank of fuel.