Fuel economy mods

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
when i build my dream truck i was considering a pre-oiler setup also put out by amsoil

In most cases, running a pre oiler along with synthetic is pretty redundant, but in your case, where you live,with those temperature extremes, it is an excellent idea ;Sweet I'm sure you are only too familiar with the effects of cold metal when it starts moving. Anything you can do to ease that initial shock, and any extra oil under pressure in the system is going to lower the load on the batts when the starter goes to turning the thing over . I'm sure nobody has to tell you anything about that stuff :D I spent a few years running a big truck up into the great white north . It was 106 here last week :eek: , I wish I was up there right now :hail You can always put more clothes on, but you can't take skin off.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
f100guy. just curious....
have you done the math on how much 1mpg savings will get you over a year?
how about 2, 3, 4 mpg?
15 isn't so bad for your setup. I personally have never heard (or believed, should I say) anyone getting over 18mpg with one of these trucks as an average over lets say a year. So theoretically lets say 17 mpg is the best you can get.
Would this $800 you intend to spend be recouped in 2years?
tough question, you'll have to do some math.

my advice, drive less and smarter, work harder/longer/smarter and make more money.
or get a job closer to home.

you could always sell off the turbo and air conditioning systems off your truck..... use the extra money for fuel. if you're really trying to maximized efficiency you won't need them anyway.

best of luck.
drew

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I agree with you Drew about the fact that fuel economy mods usually take a long time to pay for themselves, but I think the turbo might help more than hurt as long as you don't hotrod it and don't turn up the fuel too much.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my truck wich has 3.55's and a ZF-5 goes about 65 at 2000 rpm, with stock tires. Goes about 70 with 285/70/ R 16s.LOL