Fuel additive...do I need it and which one ?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. Need to put a splash of fuel in the truck. I did a search and several pages deep, i still dont see a real answer. I've heard of people using all kinds of fuel additives from ATF to motor oil to 2stroke oil. What and how much?

Let the debate begin. :D

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh no not again haha. I hear cheap 2 stroke oil adds lubrication to the fuel but am not sure how much you would have to add. Maybe an ounce per gallon??? Something like that

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Power Service in the white bottle during the winter months to prevent gelling up in my fuel. In the summer months I use the Power Service in the gray bottle for the cetane boost. About a cap full is good enough for one tank.;Sweet

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Power Service in the white bottle during the winter months to prevent gelling up in my fuel. In the summer months I use the Power Service in the gray bottle for the cetane boost. About a cap full is good enough for one tank.;Sweet

A cap full per tank? The instructions say 1oz per 3 gallons. I don't think a cap full will do anything for you.

I use 2 stroke oil @ roughly 1oz per gallon or Powerservice at the recomended amount.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Laserjock, there are many threads about additives that should be able to answer any question you may have and give support to all theroys.

I use a bio blend at 5-10%. ATF or two stroke oil if found cheap. Used to use Howes, not so much anymore. But i ALWAYS use a bit of "something"

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Like I said, did a search then after about 3 pages of threads gave up as road kill on the information super highway. Bottom line would seem to be use something.

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cap full per tank? The instructions say 1oz per 3 gallons. I don't think a cap full will do anything for you.

I use 2 stroke oil @ roughly 1oz per gallon or Powerservice at the recomended amount.

Ya you are right on that one. That was my bad don't know what i was thinking when I typed one capcookoo

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can never go wrong with howes, and dont believe the tests youve seen on the internet, theyve ignored the instructions ( as do most people) you need to dose the stuff at 3 times the amount on the label in a pickup or passenger car ( as you really should with most any additive) the ratio listed was figured for big trucks that flow oceans of fuel through the systeem and back through the return and just the return system on a big truck will keep the tanks warm once its been running a while, not so with smaller vehicles and with the lower volume comes lower lubrication, plain and simple, follow directions and you have a winning product, you will NEVER gel up and your system will stay clean.
If you havent run additives before, do not start running power service mid winter without having a whole bunch of spare filters on hand, it strips all the wax off the inside of your tanks INSTANTLY along with all the embedded crud and throws it to the filter, so as you stumble and cough to the shoulder, you know what it is, joust break out one of those new filters, fill it with clean atf, and pop it on and go till IT clogs, or just get the howes, and then all you have to worry about is draining the water out of your filter every night till you burn the first tank or so out. ( many years in a big truck in the great white north, and I've gelled up on every product out there at least once, except for Howes )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online