Front Tank Fuel??

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I running the back tank, everything is running fine. Switch to the front tank. 15 seconds in the Fuel Filter light comes on. Then truck needs more pedal to maintain speed. Becomes slugish on acceleration etc. Switch back to rear tank Light goes off in 5 seconds and response on pedal is normal. Im thinking fuel sending unit, or junk in the fuel lines.

What are ya'lls thoughts? Running the back tank is fine, sept at bout a 1/4 reading its empty!!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your fuel tank switching valve is failing to change over completely. Probably has some broken suction shower head in it. When a tank runs out of fuel at 1/4 left its because the plastic fuel suction head in the tank has broken off. Its a common thing. Most every ford truck tank has this problem. We just remove the senders. Add about 4 inches of rubber hose and a clamp to the broken off end. Thats about it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I don't feel there is a front tank issue. I think when you change over to the rear tank the valve wont completely change over so it sucks air or can't draw fuel. You will have to drp the rear tank to fix the broken suction and thats a big deal to do. Any fuel still in the tank will move around causing a balance issue. Also its a good idea to cut loose the fuel lines where they cross over the frame cross member near the rear axle. Then you can lower the tank enough to remove the fuel and electrical lines. the front tank only needs the sender removed while its still in the truck. No need to drop that tank. Just use a punch and hammer to knock loose the ring on the sendeing unit. Then lift it out of the tank. Make sure of the gasket and the tiny locatin pin so the sender gets replaced properly in the tnk. It will nly fit one way correctly.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK.... here is my bet on what is happening.

The shower head disintegrated in the rear tank... plastic parts got sucked up to the fuel selection valve and have now jammed it, so it doesn't switch to the front tank open position properly.

Back tank sucks down to 1/4 tank and runs out of fuel... no shower head to get to bottom of tank.... front tank valve doesn't open so engine is starved for fuel... doesn't run right...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why does his filter light come on? I don't know much about the fuel filter sensor and what it does. Does it read water content? Or a pressure differential to indicate a clogged filter? Is there one sensor and the other set of wires are the heater?

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that hose a 3/8 id? Should I put any kinda of sock type filter on the end? Might be able to get a hand pump to empty tank to make a bit easier.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
aNYTIME THE FUEL FILTER LITE COMES ON YOUR BEING TOLD THERE IS A VACUUM ON THE PRESSURE SIDE OF THE FILTER TO THE INJECTION PUMP. iN OTHER WORDS THE INJECTION PUMP IS DRAWING MORE FUEL THAN CAN COME THRU THE FILTER BECAUSE ITS DIRTY OR THERE IS A LINE PROBLEM. iN THIS CASE ITS PROBABLY THE TANK SELECTER VALVE HAS SOME REAR TANK TRASH IN IT KEEPING IT FORM CHANGEING OVER TO THE FRONT TANK.
Sorry for the caps.. Wifey was last on the computer and messed up my keyboard... I type by looking at the keyboard.. Not the screen like one is supposed to.

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I pulled the sending unit today. Found that there was nothing left on the pick-up side of the fuel line. Added 3" cut it at a 45 so it didnt sit flat on the bottom. Left to drive home, running the rear tank above a 1/4. Spittering and chocking, swithced to the front tank. Light came on and stayed that way for the 50 mile trip back home. Any ideas that i didnt do something right or another problem all together?:dunno