Front suspensions toasty TTB

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got to a shop to see what alls wrong, I've got the dana 50 ttb. Well like I said a couple moons ago on this site, the dude was jumping the truck a bunch and the engine ate some sand too. Has them crappy air shocks on all 4, pretty sure the front end was running stock suspension though cause the line was a cut from the sand jumping :eek:

Would it be easier to swap to a d60 solid thats not plagued somehow magically or should I fix 'er? I cant afford the labor the shop wants at the moment... parts they said around 290 but I don't know if the gas truck has the same front end :dunno, labor around 560. I could probably install the parts but I'll have to see if my friends have the necessary tools... maybe if anyone near oregon could help I got some beer/cash/etc:dunno

I paid 2k for the truck and 850 for just the suspension on top of what I've already poured in + more it needs... Least it runs and moves :puke:

• Right-side outer tie rod
  • Left side inner tie rod
  • Ball joint upper & lower
  • Bearing pack
  • 2 Seals
  • U joints

Thanks OB... I sure could use luck, just no more of the bad kind :angel:

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Both sound about right, price wise. Is that for both sides of ball joints? only special tools ya need are spindle nut socket and a ball joint press. Gas and diesel fronts are the same...a Dana 50 is a Dana 50 and is a POS.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a pain in the ass to change the ball joints - but doable in your garage. I did the whole job on a previous truck with a Dana 50 TTB; new brakes, bearings, races, ball joints, tie rod ends, U-joints in a weekend. All with hand tools. I wouldn't have been able to pull it off without my monster C-clamp set and 3/4" ratchet/socket set. If you can afford for your truck to be down for a couple days, give it a whirl.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL being downs no problem. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look through my 400 or so subsricptions cause' i know I saw someone else doing it.

We got some nice c-clamps. Not sure on the spindle sockets but I'd buy some if I can't find them in the garage.

Its not gonna be much more work to swap to a D60 is it? Just wondering, I've heard built ttbs can be good but its not a rock crawler just a work truck so a solid would probably be better...
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/143908-dana-50-ttb-to-dana-60-swap.html

found this and giving it a looksie
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7505

Last edited:

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess that it would take less time to throw a Dana 60 in there than it would to rebuild he TTB. Assuming you get a complete assembly with leafs and track bar. You don't even have to unhook the front brake lines.

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate my ttb front end with a burning passion. if only I could find a complete dana60 front end to swap on.. im only 2wd too, I just want to lift my truck a couple inches, the front sags like some old lady flapjacks.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hear a lot of haters about the dana 50 and still dont understand why. the dana 50 in my trk has held up to offroading and jumping, and still does fine everyday. replacing the ball joints in these trucks arent as hard as some have let on. if it takes you longer then 3 hours to replace ball joints on one side then you must have taken lunch while doing it. it usually takes me about an hour to replace ball joints on one side. there not that hard. also the ball joint dana 60s use the same ball joints, bearings, ect as the dana 50. if you get an older kingpin dana 60 thats another ball game if there wore out.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Unless you are a hard wheeler, lifted or just want to say you have a D60, the D50 is fine.

Most of the D60s you will find need EVERYTHING you just listed you need for you D50, so spend 500-1000 on a D60 then add all the parts you are buying for your D50 So now you are 1500-2000. Does that seem close to logicalcookoo

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Dana 50's aren't a bad axle. I took the time to get mine into good condition, got the camber set right, the alignment set right, and all the u-joints are good. After doing all that I don't have one negative thing to say about the axle. It gives a respectable ride keeping in mind this is a 3/4 ton truck, and does everything I ask it to.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have some good recommendations for shocks or anything else that I should look into? I've heard a properly setup ttb is nice so it just depends. I like knowing my options, but the 60 swap would probably cost too much at this time as Brad said.

Looking for ride comfort in the front more than super offroad capable since most I do is mud or trails (rarely)
The old shocks were the air type..

Last edited:

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for ride comfort in the front more than super offroad capable since most I do is mud or trails (rarely)
The old shocks were the air type..

My truck came with the basic napa brand shocks up front. They suit me just fine. I would get those air shocks off there. I put a set on the back of one of my trucks once and never again will I run air shocks :puke:. I should also throw in that when i had just the factory leafs up front i had a very loose spaghetti noodle type front end/ride. After i installed the add-a-leaf's the ride improved 100%.

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I go to order the parts for the suspension, are there any quality concerns or is it all the same? I wanna do it right!

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I would go with moog parts. just my opinion always had great luck with there parts.