Front end rattle found...whahoooo!!!!!

Billyisgr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So since I have had this truck now for about 1 year it has had a rattle going over gravel, bump in road, or just bumpy parts in the road, and it was driving me nuts. It has been checked 3 times by different shops for suspension and steering wear, everything was fine, and I watched each time always thinking it has to be in the suspension, but no, it was not, I was very confused each time since the sound sounded like it was in the suspension. I have crawled under the truck, jacked up the truck how many times in between shop visits, shaking, wiggling jerking , replaced all suspension bushings, and it is still there..arghhh, I was going mental .
Well got out last night and had my wife drive the truck on a bumpy gravel road and I listened and ran beside the truck, and I saw what was happening after I heard it. The tie rod conecting bar was rotating over every bump and clunking from rotation oneway to the other but very fast. The tie rod ball joints were abit loose causing this, It is in the shop right now and they are being replaced, but the guy replacing them says they are still fine and would pass them in a govt inspection and probably they would last another 15,000k's. You turn the steering wheel side to side and watch the joints, and they are not even moving, but there is enough play in them to allow the tie rod to rotate somewhat freely while driving.
I am glad to have finally found what was making the noise. I thought I would pass this info on incase somebody else has some clunking going on that is driving them nuts too when everything has been checked and bushings replaced. Easiest way to check is to grab the bar in your hands and twist up or down hard , you will hear the clunk if this is the noise maker.

Last edited:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
hmmmm.....i keep hearing a clunk from the front end of my f250 and i can rotate the tie rod by hand....maybe this is the source of my problem too!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Gees... I have a noise that sounds like the impeller is rubbing the turbo housing at a certain low rpm and speed. Can't find what it is. I'll take some of the guys for a ride at the rally. Maybe they can finger it... Checked the turbo housing and its not that...:dunno

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Ive got a noise from the front driver side. sound like a rock pinging around in the hub cap but its not. Only hear it when I hit a bump or something. Drives me nuts when Im rolling around with the windows down. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigal093

Members online