front end clunk

romulus

Reaction score
i just replaced all 4 ball joints and 4 rod ends thinking that might be the reason for the clunk. the ball joints were all shagged, and 2 of the rod ends were also. so i was certain i had fixed the problem. i also replace the shocks, the bushings in the shock ends were shagged too.

there is a bump on my access road that always gives me a clunk that feels like its coming from the driver side, just under my left foot.

could this be the leaf spring bushings or the pivot bushings? thinking about doing the pivot bushings, but it seems like it might be a 2 person job, one to align the holes and another to insert the bolts. some heavy components in there.

need to coerce one of my friends to help, but they don't like working on my truck because it takes them a week to get clean again.

i have the dana 50 ifs, truck is a 93 f250 factory turbo 4x4.

thanks

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
then i would guess the same at you in either the piviot bushings or the spring bushings. get a good look at the piviot bushings. normally u can tell by looking at them if they are shot.

romulus

Reaction score
will i need to pull the axles to change out those pivot bushings?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i usually just drop the pivot end snd support it with a jack.
and yes, it's a SOB of a job.
my mechanics get really upset with me on that job.

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whether its spring bushings or pivot bushings which i agree its probably one of the two or both lol they are definitely not the funnest things ive done in my life. Look in the tech/article section i think there is write ups with pics on how to do both if you are unsure

-Jordan-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online