Front drive axle variations and brakes

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright guys (and gals),

I'm picking up a 94 F350 for parts and I also have an 88 DRW F350 for parts. Both 4x4.

My 91 will be converted to 4x4.

I know the 88 should be kingpin and the 94 should be balljoint. Is there anything that would make one better than the other for a tow rig? The kingpin axle has the 4.10 gears I need, the balljoint axle is only 3.55 gears. I can swap if needed, just trying to decide if it's worth it.

I've also read that 95-97 have better brakes? Would it be worth tracking down a set of those knuckles for better brakes? Or are the brakes not really a big upgrade?

I'm assuming the DRW hubs should swap between the axles regardless of balljoint or kingpin right?

I'd like to do this once and be done with it. If I can spend just a little extra now and upgrade I will, but only if it's worth it. No point in throwing away money.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotor diameter
87-94 12.56”
95-97 12.95”
99-04 13.03”
05-12 13.66”
13+. 14.29”

if you really want bigger brakes look for a 13+ axle

use the axle that’s the cheapest for you to use, ball joint vs kingpin doesn’t matter for a tow rig. If you really want a good upgrade I would go with the 2013+ axle with bigger brakes, better turning radius and smoother ride.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought axles were only interchangeable '87 to '97. Maybe I just learned something new.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not going with a much newer axle.
I'm still going to be running 16" wheels on the dually and I'm not messing with a superduty bolt pattern either. But thank you for the input!

Rotor diameter
87-94 12.56”
95-97 12.95”

Really that's the only difference on those years? Did they use bigger pads or larger bore on the pistons? I doubt the 1/4" increase in braking surface would make a significant difference by itself. At least not enough to warrant hunting down new knuckles.

Cheapest will probably be sticking with the kingpin axle that's already geared correctly. Either way they will get at least a partial overhaul. I just didn't want to miss out on something because I jumped the gun.

I thought axles were only interchangeable '87 to '97. Maybe I just learned something new.

Define interchangeable? Anything fits if you try hard enough -Flame Thr

Actually the newer axles aren't terribly difficult to fit in from what I've seen. Lots of the dimensions are close. Someone found out that the coil setup from the 08 superduty fits on our frames pretty good and is not too far off from being a bolt on upgrade. Sure it's some work but not like starting from scratch either.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, use the kingpin one. There are big-brake kits for those if you discover the need later.
https://torqmotorsports.com/product/ford-dana-60-kingpin-big-brake-brackets/

The 95-97 style's benefit is the rotor OD and robust caliper mounting. The rotor is still thin, and little if any, change in piston size.

Thanks. That big brake kit is no good for me yet because it says SRW only. It does say they're working on a DRW kit so maybe someday. As I said, just didn't want to leave something on the table, I've done that plenty of times and ended up with "oh I wish I knew that a month ago" lol.

Thanks for the help.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Exactly.
If I were to go swapping axles, I would go for SD axles with rear disc. You know, 21st century technology.... lol

I missed the part about converting 2wd to 4wd (thought it was simple axle shuffling amongst 4wds.)

I would do an 05+ axle swap because you already have coil buckets on your frame.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd do hydroboost before bigger brakes anyway. :)

Already done!

I missed the part about converting 2wd to 4wd (thought it was simple axle shuffling amongst 4wds.)

I would do an 05+ axle swap because you already have coil buckets on your frame.

Yeah I could but I've already got most of the stuff for the swap. I could track down some knuckles, but don't think I could get a newer parts truck for what I paid for the stuff I have now.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the KP axle is generally considered stronger but for what you’re doing it’s probably a wash. I’d go KP just so you don’t have to re- gear. The hubs I think are compatible. I don’t think the outer components changed but I can’t be sure.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the KP axle is generally considered stronger but for what you’re doing it’s probably a wash. I’d go KP just so you don’t have to re- gear. The hubs I think are compatible. I don’t think the outer components changed but I can’t be sure.

That's more or less what I was thinking. I didn't know if there were any real benefits to balljoints over the kingpins in handling or if they simply changed because it was cheaper/easier. I'm really hoping the gears aren't pitted! If the gears aren't pitted badly I'm just going to replace seals, grease, and oil everything and run it (after cleaning and painting of course). I'll save overhaul for whenever I have the money for a trutrac or a selectable locker (really not a fan of getting stuck).

I considered swapping them simply because then I could use the kingpin axle on my wheeling rig but after a little searching I think the actual strength difference is negligible, just the kingpins last longer whereas abused balljoints will wear out quicker which will still fair better than the IFS in my toy has in the past haha.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are going to put it under the dually, If you’re like me, you won’t use the 4x4 that much so the “condition” of the gears may have more tolerance than you’d want for the rear axle.

Just a thought.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are going to put it under the dually, If you’re like me, you won’t use the 4x4 that much so the “condition” of the gears may have more tolerance than you’d want for the rear axle.

Just a thought.

Depends on what you mean. If you're saying they don't have to be in perfect shape then yeah. It just needs to work when I NEED it to. I'm not going to be afraid of driving the truck in the snow if I need it, but I'm planning on keeping it out if the snow/salt as much as I can.

I'm just thinking if the gears look ok I won't be worried about the condition of the bearings. But... If the gears look like crap I might be a little more concerned with the condition of the bearings. I'd like to not touch those until I have money for a trutrac.