Front clip swap

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would be involved in swapping in a slant nose 86 front clip from a brick 87-91 front clip? I like how aggressive the older fords look. Thanks

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Then as long as you get the complete front clip, it's practically a bolt on deal. You may have trouble locating a diesel core support though as they seem to be rather scarce.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out the Moosestang album. That's what I did. It was a bricknose, and now is the good ol' slant early 80's style. If you swap the whole front clip, core support and all, its a simple bolt in. The only thing you will have to do is torch out the bottom of the fenders so they can clear the cab-side mounting tabs. I choose not to fasten them their, but you could easy fab up a bracket if one were to wish it. Even without it, I don't geta any rattles there.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, the rear lower fender mount is different as is the cowl. The mount is horizontal on '83-'86 and verticle on the '87-'97 trucks. You may be able to gently bend the mounting tab from horizontal to verticle to get it to mount up. Like stated above, it will be really easy if you can find an entire/complete front clip (gotta be diesel though).

Heath

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I modified my gas core to accomodate the diesel radiator... probably not text book correct, but have done it twice now, one truck I drove, the other I parted prior to driving, and on the driver I never had any issues.

First IDI was an 86 f 2fiddy, that looked like a pinata, right at the split second moment when the pinata defecates candy, had a pristine "bricknose" Bronc, F2fiddy then wore a Bronc clip and doors.