Front brakes squealing excessively

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
My left front brakes on the 99 have been squealing pretty badly for about a week. I figured they were down to the indicators and needed changing. I picked up a new set of pads today and got to work. I pulled the right tire off first, since my garage isn't wide enough for me to do both sides, without moving the truck. The right side pads still had plenty of meat on them, and really did not need to be changed. Since I already had the wheel off, they got changed.

When I pulled the left wheel off, those pads looked as thick as the other side. I went ahead and changed them too. The only thing I noticed different, was that the left side pads each had 5-6 cracks. When I test drove the truck, the brakes felt a lot better and no squealing!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Gary,

I had the same thing happen on my 03. I had all the brakes squealing. Bought a set of front and rear pads. Pulled the wheels and changed the pads. They looked good, still nice and thick. New pads and the truck stopped better and no noise. I think from the heating of the pads, they glaze over time. Sounds like the same problem I had.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing Scott. The left side pads were both cracked and there was a lot of squealing from them. My guess is, that they overheated at one time and got glazed and maybe a bit brittle.

Nick, those pads still had plenty of meat left on them. They started a small bit of squeaking a while back, but it really got loud the last couple of weeks. Since I have two camping trips coming up, I didn't want brake problems popping up. The truck actually stops a lot better now and no noise!