Full Access Member
Reaction score
houston....we have a problem lol Here's to my new driveway! The scenic route

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm officially off the grid at home. I have no internet and no cell phone service. Hopefully that gets taken care of this week. Have to go with dish tv and dish internet. Looking into switching wireless carriers too. As for the creek, the truck will plow through it no problem, BUT it starts to gargle down a bit. I'm not sure if water is getting somewhere it's not supposed to. Once i'm through it, a few feet later she's back to driving just fine. I come to a stop right before it, and just keep a steady pace through it, it's not like i'm hitting it at 30mph. It's up to the door sills this morning after a heavy rain all night so it's starting to get sketchy. Probably should hit my ujoints with some fresh grease right?

The ol truck actually met it's match further into my property. Trying to back a loaded 6x12 enclosed trailer up the drive, it did great, made it to the top, then the mud was just too much. With the truck off, in gear and parking break on, it just kept sliding. Had to get a wrecker out here to winch the trailer back to level ground before I lost it. Guy showed up and ended up turning around to get a bigger wrecker, didn't want to drive across the creek haha

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that in Pelham? Welcome to Grundy. If you only need 15 feet span, Id start shopping craigslist for an old flat deck trailer. You can often find them homemade that are overbuilt POS. Cut the axles off and put it in place.
Best easy bridge I have seen is an old flat deck train car spanning 40 feet across a big creek in AL. Not much way to overload that one.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I would build a bridge over that creek, I would sure want to check with the Township and or the County to find out what might be the requirements if any. What with all the Government restrictions on water ways and wet lands , if you just build any kind of a bridge, it may be possible to get in deep **** if there are restrictions, like being above the water a certain distance, how it's anchored so it can't wash downstream. Even with a 45 /50 foot trailer like suggested, you would be only 10/15 feet on either side of the creek and just barely above the water line. If you don't do this, it may cost you a bundle later on. Just remember, you cannot impede the flow of water, wether you own the land or not. Good Luck.

How the hell did I get here, thought I was in the Lounge on the bridge building post.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a river crossing right there. Glad you can get across it safely but be cautious in the future rains. Loosing the truck down river is not an option for you...

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aint nobody gonna bother me out here about building a bridge. No ambulance or sheriffs are gonna cross the damn thing without one anyways.Fedex/ups just toss my packages at the mailbox. But yes I know I can't impede the waterway and will be building it to assure that I don't.

Is that in Pelham? Welcome to Grundy. If you only need 15 feet span, Id start shopping craigslist for an old flat deck trailer. You can often find them homemade that are overbuilt POS. Cut the axles off and put it in place.
Best easy bridge I have seen is an old flat deck train car spanning 40 feet across a big creek in AL. Not much way to overload that one.

Yeah it's in pelham right at the bottom of monteagle mountain. Sure ain't much out here is there? Anyone who does good work repairing our old trucks? What you suggested is exactly what I went browsing for today. I had to out to dechard so i was checking peoples backyards and such for anything of the like. A guy down the street has an old mobile home trailer he's thinking of lettin me use. He owns the property butted up to mine so he's willing to help out. It's either that ol trailer, or some oaks we got on both our property. We're gonna wait til the water level is a lot further down than now and then go scouting. He's got all the cabling and some tractors to pull the logs from the woods. I done got the dually stuck back in the woods, i was cutting trees down for firewood and fell into a spot that was damn near quicksand. Had to hilift the hell out of the rear end and put some old deck wood down.

If we use logs, we're gonna use those round things they use for foundations to decks, and fill them with concrete, secured to the river bottom with rebarb. Well create a frame the direction of the river, then span the logs across. Rachet strap them tight as prom night, then drill into each one of the logs and shove a length of threaded rod through them; nut and bolt both ends. at that point the only need for deck wood on top (which i have a overstock of lol) would be for asthetic purposes. But i may do it anyways as a second precaution using long deck screws, with roofing cement on the logs where the boards will meet them to keep water from pooling up there. The deck wood would likely be stained with the spare cans of random stain i have to help them last as long as possible. All that would be done with crap we both have laying around our houses. I like free homemade projects. Them oaks are quite big around, so should withstand more than the weight of my dually or some tractors.

He actually told me a story about some contractors that were up at my house years ago, The river bed was bone dry when they came in in the mornin, then it rained all day and they went to leave and it was rushing hard. Ended up loosing the truck downstream. Damn near cost them their lives. Exactly why I didn't chance it yesterday.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yours don't look so bad lol that water is about 5 feet above my 3 rows of 2x3 foot culverts

Attachments

• IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1360.JPG
    IMG_1360.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 12

sassyrel

Reaction score
partially to what shadetree said..only,,id get TWO 40 foot flatdecks........id buildsome sort of support,parellel to the creek,right in the center. you have enough drop to the creek,,that if you had one flatdeck on each side of a support pillar,,the decks of the trailers hooked together,,would be almost flat across the creek..and should be high enough,,for a lot of water to cross underneath..with some sort of anchor,at both ends,,to hold the decks if the water level got crazy,,and anchors on the center support also..no matter what the flat deck tops are,,id throw some sand all across all the surface,,as with rain,,,steel,alum, or wood,,will be slippery....