front brakes on a 2wd?

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If i'm changing out the pads and rotors on the front of my 2wd dually, is it anything special? Or is it just like any other car? Unbolt caliper, bang the old ******* rotor off, replace. blah blah blah. Or is it some complicated "you need this special tool", gotta yank this off, pull that off blah bah?

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oooooo. Did they use the stupid calipers back then where i need the tool for the piston? I have it but i'd have to dig it out.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oooooo. Did they use the stupid calipers back then where i need the tool for the piston? I have it but i'd have to dig it out.

nothing special C clamp hammer and screw driver the calipers held on with some hammer in slid pins

and 27mm to remove lugs

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats about it. I might add this about those sildein pins. Care needs to be used when removing them. They have a top and a bottom. You do not want to install them wrong. Usually they are replaced with every brake pad changeout. But I have seen them look just fine and reused too. I use a punch and hammer to drive them out. Just make sure the punch is large enough to be hitting the steel and not the rubber part of the pin. The calipers requires two per side and they are cheap at many fakeazz autoparts stores.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Take the time to torque down the lug nuts after you are done. I got my brakes done when I didn't have time to do it and they are vibrating some when I stop. I need to get down there and spend some quality time with the torque wrench.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it. i'll be tackling this then having a guy do the rear brakes. Want to do any PMing now before the long haul next week

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you replacing ROTORS too? If so well...uhm...you have your work cut out for you. I'm not sure if they are integral to hub or not but if so, get new bearings and races too for both inner and outer bearings...and use the matched bearings and races...don't use the ones in the hub if it comes with new ones...usually cheapanese made!

JM2CW

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course. What's the point of just doing pads if you don't turn or replace the rotors?? That's why i started the thread, figured there was gonna be a catch somewhere. Was hoping on the 2wd the rotors just went OVER the hub :(

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course. What's the point of just doing pads if you don't turn or replace the rotors?? That's why i started the thread, figured there was gonna be a catch somewhere. Was hoping on the 2wd the rotors just went OVER the hub :(

Take your front wheel off and look at it yerself, or go to auto parts store and ask them to show you one, you'll be sure to see whats what!

Sorry no free lunch K! NOT EVER!

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the tips, i didn't feel like risking a headache and took it to a diesel shop. Turns out the rear shoes were ALMOST NEW. But there were missing pieces and the shoes were never actually closing down when i hit the brakes. So I only needed a caliper, front rotors and pads, and a rebuild kit in the rear. I drove it 40 miles in city driving so far and I was amazed at how well it stopped. The pedal would be barely halfway to come to a total stop. It was actually taking a little getting used to, i was impressed.

BUT....I was backing up in my driveway just turning around and i heard a pop in the rear, and now my pedal goes to the floor :( With 4 days left before I need to move, i may be screwed. It still stops, but it feels no better than before I had them fixed. I don't think the rears are working again. I don't trust it to tow a trailer let alone go on the highway so hopefully he'll take it in ASAP and look it over. Being without the truck this week is going to cause so many problems with me trying to move, hopefully enterprise has a truck i can rent...

But in positive news i spent today wiring my trailer harness up. Works like charm! And i was able to tear apart the rats nest of wiring the guy did before me..

You must be registered for see images attach

This little guy also came out to play in my bathroom last night. I gave him some water and snacks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Pop open the drums and see if something looks out of place. Other than that try adjusting the shoes so they operate correctly

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
everything would look out of place to me lol, i don't know a damn thing about them. I reserved a truck from enterprise for tomorrow, gonna drop the IDI off at the shop that did the brakes and i'm sure they'll take care of it with only 40 miles on their work. Just hope it's good to go by wednesday.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry been busy for the big move (leaving tomorrow morning!) and haven't checked in on here in a bit. Shop checked everything out back there and everything looked fine. they rebled the lines and they're perfect again.Parking break works, and I barely have to put effort into the pedal to stop. I drove the **** out of it to be assured,and it seems great. So I trust it now. I also had them replace the tie rod from the pitman arm because I found some play in there. It tightened my steering up quite a bit and kept it from wandering so bad. I think if I loosen the adjustment on the box up a bit now, itll be perfect (a previous shop tightened the hell out of the box to try to correct the play in it).