Fresh Reman Engine Ticking

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the shop is going to keep truck another day. Even they can't figure out where it's coming from. Great

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a call from shop today & they are unable to find out where ticking is coming from. They say it sounds the loudest from the harmonic balancer area but are unsure. They spent hours trying to find out the source but it's a no go. Throwing in the old towel.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I guess you have two options. Tear it down and look for it or turn up the radio until it gets loud enough to drown it out.

Sorry man. This sucks but it's either going to have to get bad enough you can find it or you just have to go looking deeper. I'm not sure it's worth it on a fresh rebuild but I know it would be driving me absolutely nucking futs.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess you have two options. Tear it down and look for it or turn up the radio until it gets loud enough to drown it out.

Sorry man. This sucks but it's either going to have to get bad enough you can find it or you just have to go looking deeper. I'm not sure it's worth it on a fresh rebuild but I know it would be driving me absolutely nucking futs.

Haha. You can't hear it in cab. Only when your standing outside of truck. It runs great, oil psi is good and makes lots more power than other engine. Will have to keep an eye on it tho.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you got the comic relief I was after. ;Sweet

Sometimes you don't know how guys will take it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know you said your advance solenoid isnt connected,
but..
did you try putting 12V to it when the ticking is present?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i also thought it may be a oil squirter not squirting at idle, but once you throw some RPM at it, itll work..
not too sure about that tho.
if you wanted to barrow my bore scope youre more than welcome to it.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i also thought it may be a oil squirter not squirting at idle, but once you throw some RPM at it, itll work..
not too sure about that tho.
if you wanted to barrow my bore scope youre more than welcome to it.

Thanks for the offer. Might take u up on that.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about those bore scopes today. Might be worth a shot but I have this damn feeling that this engine is going to have to come back out and do a complete tear down on it to find that stupid noise. Or just drive it hard until it blows up. I already tried that yesterday and it held together all the way up to 3900 rpm lol.
I have had 3 mechanics trying to isolate ticking and they are all stumped. Loudest near front engine cover. It's something inside engine IMO. Just can't think of anything it could be. Definitely not a rod knock and doesn't sound like a valve train issue this time. Took off the belts and she's still ticking away under load @ idle. Oh well :/

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Might very well just be the sound of the injection pump and injectors. Our fuel system is very noisy most of the time.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the next thing i would do Ian, is pull the front cover.

you say the ticking noise is coming from behind the harmonic balancer.

did you use new bolts on the waterpump, where it goes into the timing cover?

hell, pull those 4 bolts out and try again.

tryin to think outside the box.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might very well just be the sound of the injection pump and injectors. Our fuel system is very noisy most of the time.

I wish that was it but afraid not. Old engine didn't sound like this & used the same baby moose IP & Delphi sticks. Listened to every injector & IP and it's definitely not coming from there

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the next thing i would do Ian, is pull the front cover.

you say the ticking noise is coming from behind the harmonic balancer.

did you use new bolts on the waterpump, where it goes into the timing cover?

hell, pull those 4 bolts out and try again.

tryin to think outside the box.

One of the short bolts going into front cover did strip out. So I carefully tapped & used bigger bolt that was same length for just that one. The front cover, however, was from a 7.3 Idi but don't think that matters since they looked identical