Fresh Reman Engine Ticking

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using an engine stethoscope. I will probably pull the belts and see if noise is still there.
Running delo 15w-40.
Would a bad harmonic balancer make a ticking noise?

i was gonna ask you if there was a shiny spot on the balancer.
but the whole things bling'n LOL

if it was the balancer, youd hear it even when cold.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume the noise tracks with rpm right? Have you tried the loosen the injector line trick to rule out fuel knock?

Trying to think of any easy things before you go deep. As if you haven't gone deep enough already b

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really hear this noise when I raise the rpms. Seems to go away when I give it some juice. It definitely isn't a piston hitting a valve, because that noise was consistent with varying rpm's.
I have taken this thing apart so many times it's ridiculous.
Don't know why it doesn't make any noise when cold tho...
To answer your question, yes I have cracked injector lines and can't really tell difference. These things are too loud

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
start it up cold with the solenoid advance disconnected.
or when its making the noise, jump 12V to the advance and see if it changes.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^good idea. Could be related to something changing when the temp switch opens. That would effect high idle and timing.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose a bad balancer might make noise for the same reason you get gear rollover noise. It could slop back and forth until the engine smooths out at the higher rpm. I don't know how you would tell unless it's real bad unless you swap it out.

That would make sense as to why it's worse with the engine loaded. If you are sure it's not in the valve train the hot cold thing is still a mystery to me. I'm not sure if hot and cold would effect the balancer. It might the fan clutch though.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will take all the belts off and see what we got. Looking underneath it when running, the balancer looks like it wobbles just a hair. dont know if that's normal or not.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just in case you don't know it.

The balancer "pulley" is a three part pulley, hub--rubber insert--grooved pulley.

The rubber can become deteriorated or loose if some one has used the wrong puller to take it off. It really shouldn't wobble. Also if any other accessory (AC, Alt. WP ) pulley's tie up it could twist the damper pulley.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just in case you don't know it.

The balancer "pulley" is a three part pulley, hub--rubber insert--grooved pulley.

The rubber can become deteriorated or loose if some one has used the wrong puller to take it off. It really shouldn't wobble. Also if any other accessory (AC, Alt. WP ) pulley's tie up it could twist the damper pulley.

I did remove the HB with the correct tool when I swapped it onto the new engine. Thanks for the additional info. Didn't have time to take belts off but inspected the HB today. Everything looked normal with it. Something tells me this is a simple fix but need to dig into it further. Put stethoscope on oil pan area and didn't hear ticking from that area.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that would seem to be enough.

Did I just read in your sig that you have an Aux electric lift pump? What's it doing for you? Could you pull the mechanical one and run the electric as a diagnostic? I would think you would be able to hear the cam lobe beating on the fuel pump arm out at the pump though with the stethoscope.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that would seem to be enough.

Did I just read in your sig that you have an Aux electric lift pump? What's it doing for you? Could you pull the mechanical one and run the electric as a diagnostic? I would think you would be able to hear the cam lobe beating on the fuel pump arm out at the pump though with the stethoscope.

The PO installed the aux fuel pump. I put stethoscope on mechanical fuel pump (also new) and it was quiet. Got tired of fooling around with it this morning. It's in the shop & they are going to try and find out where it's coming from.