freeze plug fell out

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
my old truck was sitting in the yard yesterday went to start it up and there is a huge puddle of coolant under it so i climb under it to check it out and find the freeze plug above the oil filter had fell out:mad:. Am i going to have to remove the motor to but a new one in:dunno i also remember reading something about a special tool needed to install the new one anyone have any info on this. just as I'm about to get the truck road worthy this has to happen:mad::mad:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pm "icanfixall"/gary
he's got the insight of what happens when they aren't put in right and the right tool to put them in.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Not positive but pretty sure that one can be done with the engine in... just easier with it out. Also, technically special tool is not required, but makes a guaranteed leak-free seal much more likely.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
i checked it out real quick and it looks like i might be able to do it with the motor still in if i pull down the oil cooler not sure tho. maybe ill just pull it so i can regasket everything and be done with it ugghhh:mad:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First off be thankful you weren't driving it like I was. When you loose all the coolant the sender can't tell the gauge whats going on so you drive on blindly. Then its starts a knocken because the oil is way too hot and thin. Then its all over. The motor will continue to run till the pistons swell so much they freeze in the cylinders. Cracked heads and lunched pistons. Once the pistons scuff the skirts there gone. They will never stop scuffing and eventuallu ruin the cylinders. Happened to me at 5200 miles on a new motor. Now the bad part... The tool isn't available from Rotunda... Till March 22nd. Another member here has ordered it and thats the date of delievery to him. Maybe they made enough for all of us but I really dought it. The tool is $135.00 and well worth it. If anybody has one I'm a buyer. Just PM me. I know of two of these tools out there and I'll buy one if someone is interseted in selling. I like tools and spare parts...:D Over on the other site LMJD claims he knows how to install them with a punch because he has done it for 30+ years without problems.... Maybe but I feel theres no reason for doing something without the correct tool. I had my second set of plugs installed by another shop that had the tool. I made a big mistake and didn't use any sealant on the plugs but. They held 35 lbs of pressure without any leakage and believe me I checked it out. I watched the guy install them and even asked him to add some more hammer to a few of them. About 3 months later I had several leakers. Nothing bad but I pulled the motor anyway. Glad I did because one behind the flexplate almost fell out when I pulled it. These plugs are stainless steel and they have a special angled edge cut into them. When you install them that edge cuts into the cast iron block. The block sealing ares must be clean. Scrape it with anything that will clean off the factory sealant if they are the OEM plugs... BTW the factory sealant is no longer available so its up to you to find something that works. I used permatex avaition cement in the can. I think it was number 2. I'll check it later but use something. You don't want to be doing this job twice. Ford sells the kit of 7 plugs in a bag. Buy those and be safe. My first set was brass ad they didn't stay in. Yes.. The drivers side rear plug can be installed while the motor is in the truck. It tuff and thats the plug that fell out of my motor after 3 miles of driving it. I saw a cloud of smoke at a stop lite and thought gees... Wheres the beater making all this smoke..... Some guy drove up along side me and pointed down at my truck... Twas mee..:eek: That cost me almost $300.00 for the repair and the shop only came up with around $180.00 but... They told me if it happened again let them do the work... Well it happened again and they gave me nothing but crap about it. Didn't pay for **** and really ruined my new set of heads valve job. I screwed them after that mess big time and no... I wont say what I did. I'm not going to jail for them thats for sure....;Sweet

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
so the tool is absolutely necessary? cause i ain't got $150 bucks to be spending on a tool that i will only use once. ill have to call the machine shop and see if they have the tool but i doubt it. well this sounds like a fun project already.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Here's the procedure ( and the tool number) Do not attempt it without the tool unless you really feel like doing it again down the line.
All those * experts* who claim to have done them for years without the tool and have never had one come back , I bet it's just like in my case, the customer was so stinking mad that they didn't want to get anywhere near the guys for fear of winding up in jail over the guys oversight for cheaping out over a $135 tool that was specified in the manual, and chose to either take it somewhere else reputable or fix it themself.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
This is just an idea that might not work bc it is the wrong side but why don't You just put a block heater right there and have it as a separate block heater in case the one on the starter side goes bad. They only cost about $15 and anyone can put one on.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All those * experts* who claim to have done them for years without the tool and have never had one come back , I bet it's just like in my case, the customer was so stinking mad that they didn't want to get anywhere near the guys for fear of winding up in jail over the guys oversight for cheaping out over a $135 tool that was specified in the manual, and chose to either take it somewhere else reputable or fix it themself.

That's exactly right!;Sweet Once someone shows their disreguard for your property and in doing their job the right way, rarely will they get a second chance to screw it up again.:backoff

Heath

Exekiel69

Reaction score
That's exactly right!;Sweet Once someone shows their disreguard for your property and in doing their job the right way, rarely will they get a second chance to screw it up again.:backoff

Heath

You got that right. It is the hole reason why I started doing things at home and not ever come back to any of those ********.-cuss

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A block heater wont fit the freeze plug hole. The heater hole is 1 1/2 inch diameter all the way into the block. The plugs have a shoulder that the plug fits into the bottom of the bore. Good thought anyway...