Frame problems?

lukecline

Reaction score
A friend of mine is looking at getting an '05 or waiting on an '06 4x4, 4 door dually, 6 spd . He's heard rumors about the 3rd gen frames being weak, is this true? He will not be modding this truck except intake and exhaust. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks, Luke

bentwings

Reaction score
This gets started every year by the know nothings. Ever see a 1 ton with a bent frame other than a collision?? I worked on design of the machines that make these hydro formed frames and I can tell you these are tough.
There are countless guys pulliing 20K trailers with no problems with the frame (or motor).
Get a 1 ton dually and be done with it. Enjoy the toughest light (???) truck on the road.

2500cummins

Reaction score
This thread on TDR seems to be typical about the frame issue
3500 frame problems???

To summarize the typical hydroformed frame thread:
Some guys second cousins nephews uncles have seen a bunch of cracked frames, a bunch of wise cracks about the other brands, a lot of speculation, a lot of guys with no frame problems, a few idiots asking for ANY shred of firsthand evidence of even one frame problem, in the end still no answer from Dodge about anything and no actual pictures or firsthand accounts of any problem.
I think a lot of this comes from the outfitters who need to make a profit installing aftermarket equipment, Dodge has not been as aftermarket friendly as the others, they have generally made life difficult with the installer unfriendly hydroformed frame and no true cab chassis length truck. The frame TSBs and strange camper recomendations just add fuel to the fire.

lukecline

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I wasnt trying to stir the pot, just wanting some straight facts. Sounds like my buddy will be ok if he gets a dodge.

Later, Luke

Joey D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it comes down to Chrysler not crash testing the trucks with a chassis body on them and getting certified that way. The older GM short bed trucks like mine fell under the same problem. I am not sure about Ford or DC as far as the older models go.

Kyle Graham

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have talked Chrysler Daimler and there is only a couple of issues and that is you cannot weld on Frame and if you drill it must be 1 inch away from rolled edge's. I asked because I am making traction bars for the third generation trucks.

BigSix

Reaction score
You can weld or drill to the frame. There's a TSB on the guidelines to follow just like every other frame has had drilling or welding guidelines to follow. IF... the frame fails due to your crappy welding or drilling of the frame, it's on your nickel. This is no different than it's ever been. Has any auto manufacturer covered damage to a frame caused by owner modifications? Not hardly. The new frames are almost too tough. They ring like a tuning fork and amplify every vibration in the truck. Take a QC long bed over an odd angle and the bed and cab stay inline. I've mounted my Reese 5th wheel hitch in my '03 and '05. Not a problem.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
the only problem I've heard, regarding Dodge frames, is that they flex a lot. That isn't a problem, since everything was designed to do that, I guess.

The problem I've seem, is x-cabs cracking in the back, when they put a flatbed, or balebed on, because the bed makes the frame more rigid, causing the chassis flex to be more dramatic, and concentrated.

I've never owned one, but have seen several local farm pickups in the body shop, to get the back, and underside of the cab fixed.

Just $.02, from lala land.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online