Found out why my truck is so amemic... and I feel dumb!

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
There actually are two non wastegated turbochargers from ATS, the 088 and the 085. Not real sure how to tell the difference. Pretty sure mine is the 088 though. The roundish air cleaners came on the waste gated 093 and Ford Factory turbos as far as I can remember.

The 085 ATS on my '85 was retangular shaped. I have photos of the air cleaner housing, but they are on my old broke computer ... -cuss

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Easiest way to tell is if the "original" air cleaner's on it. The 085 turbo has a rectangular air cleaner, like the first pic I have attached. The 088 turbo has a square air cleaner, like in the second pic.

I don't have a picture of the 085's exhaust casing, but just for the record, the third picture's what the 088 exhaust casing "snail" looks like...my buddy was test-fitting the turbo on the intake manifold to see how everything lined up...

Thanks for clearing that up ;Sweet

Here's a question for everyone. I have heard that the 088 is the most desirable over the 085. I would think that the smaller housing on the 085 would allow for quicker spool-up which I would like to have... Am I missing something what makes one better than the other? :dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondered the same thing...but then they are ALL desireable over being N/A, I'd be curious what anybody else thinks about if the 085 or 088 are better. That rectangular box seems kinda restrictive on the 085.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
My truck is a 088 with the snailshell, but must have been an early one as I had the rectangle air box on it. The boxes a interchangeable between the 085 and the 088's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online