Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a 1988 F450 cab and chassis rear wheel drive only with the following
7.3 NA---110,000mi
ZF5 may need rebuild
10 bolt wheels front and back
rear has disk brake
has hydro boost

I am wanting the hydro boost for my 89 F350 Stick Dully--not shure if the rear would be good for my truck--and dont know of a good place to recondition the trans as a spare.
Also can you get a new floor shift stick this one has seen better days.

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have said that I will take all of the hydro boost parts--pump,prop valve,hoses,and under dash parts. will I have any issues because the master cylinder came from a disk brake rear--should I keep the prop valve with it?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The disc brake issue is nothing to worry bout. But using the rear end in your rig wil be an issue with the 8 to 10 lug pattern. Unless you ride with 2 differant spare tires. One for the front end and one for the rear end.....

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say disk brake issue nothing to worry about --does that mean you can swap them and no fit problem, but I would think the brake performance of the disk setup requires the hydro brake parts and prop valve. What would be involved in changing the front parts to have 10 lug there as well. Neither truck is 4 wheel drive. If you cant change the front to 10 log, maybe change the rear to 8 lug if this can be done?
PS I would also think the springs/suspension parts front and back should follow the 8 to 10 lug swap to keep the weight rating-your thoughts here?
Thanks for responding icanfixall:hail

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You say disk brake issue nothing to worry about --does that mean you can swap them and no fit problem, but I would think the brake performance of the disk setup requires the hydro brake parts and prop valve. What would be involved in changing the front parts to have 10 lug there as well. Neither truck is 4 wheel drive. If you cant change the front to 10 log, maybe change the rear to 8 lug if this can be done?
PS I would also think the springs/suspension parts front and back should follow the 8 to 10 lug swap to keep the weight rating-your thoughts here?
Thanks for responding icanfixall:hail

Frames are different between the two trucks, so rear spring perches are likely in different location.

Since yours is 2wd I'm thinking you have coil springs and the SD has big *** leafs so that entire front end would need to be transplanted same with the entire rear end.

Your better off just grabbing that hydroboost and MC, the power steering PUMP RESERVIOR thats the plastic tank no need for pump. the lines and brake pedal that's about all you need.

JM2CW

Al

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No reason to use that axle - it's a Dana 80 super heavy duty unit. Also probably has something like a 5.13 gearset in in. Plus the issues of spring width and 10 lug rims.

I would keep the proportioning valve off the current master and swap it over to the new one - should work fine.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I desperately need a working proportioning valve for a cab chassis F450 with 10 lugs and rear disks.

Haven't been able to find one here anywhere... mine is leaking like crazy. If you are working a u-pull yard for this stuff and can pull that valve complete with arm / etc. I will gladly pay you for your time and shipping, plus what you pay for the valve.

IM me , I'll give you my contact details. We'll figure how to get you paid.
Please?

Thanks

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess after reading the input from the fellow oilburners I will just take the hydroboost and other parts mentioned above. I do have thoughts about the prop valve.
1. do I use the F450 one or keep my original one?
2. the f450 master has a larger bore than my original is this a problem and again which prop valve to use?
3. I did not check but does the f450 master have only one output feeding the front and rear as my original has 2 outputs one for the front and a seperate one for the rear--I have rear abs I dont know if the f450 had abs and lastly I think not shure does my truck have a low brake fluid sensor--if it does than does the f450 have this as well

lots of compatibility issues here--thanks for the input.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished my swap.

Use the booster and master cylinder from the 450. Leave all the rest of the lines alone. They will screw right in to the 450 MC. No need to change pro portioning valves or RABS valves or anything else.

Use the pedal assembly from the 450. The angles are a little different on a hydroboost, use the match from the 450 for the correct pedal feel.

Use the power steering lines from the 450. There is one that goes from the PS pump to the hydroboost. One that goes from the hydroboost to the steering gear box. And a return line from the hydroboost and the steering gear. You need to swap the PS pump reservoir from the 450 on to your pump. There is one large nut that the power string line threads into. Remove this fitting, then slide the original reservoir off the pump. There is an o-ring that should be replaced at this stage, I got mine from oreilly auto parts in a reseal kit for 7 dollars. Now you reassemble all you took apart. The superduty reservoir has the 2 return ports you now need for your steering gear and your hydroboost.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G. Mann said:
I desperately need a working proportioning valve for a cab chassis F450 with 10 lugs and rear disks.
Haven't been able to find one here anywhere... mine is leaking like crazy.
Just bypass yours with a union fitting till you can find a new one - potentially too much rear braking when empty is a whole lot better than not enough braking while loaded due to leaking high-pressure components.

2stroke said:
I do have thoughts about the prop valve.
1. do I use the F450 one or keep my original one?
If you're asking about the giant aluminum adapter-fitting-like chunk that screws into the rear port of the master cylinder, and then the rear brake lines screws into it, then I'd say reuse your factory one, as it's properly sized for your rear brakes. If you were swapping the rear axle too at the same time, then you should use the F-Superduty valve. As long as they can physically interchange (and in this case they should), those valves need to be matched to the axle, not to the master or booster.

2stroke said:
2. the f450 master has a larger bore than my original is this a problem and again which prop valve to use?
Larger bore is not a problem as long as you use the matching F-Superduty brake pedal assembly. Larger bore with factory brake pedal, not very good idea. Swap pedals, and run the F-Superduty master cylinder. As for prop valve, see above.

2stroke said:
3. I did not check but does the f450 master have only one output feeding the front and rear as my original has 2 outputs one for the front and a seperate one for the rear--I have rear abs I dont know if the f450 had abs and lastly I think not shure does my truck have a low brake fluid sensor--if it does than does the f450 have this as well
Your factory master cylinder has two outputs, and so does the F-Superduty one. There hasn't been a single-output master cylinder since the '60s. Look at how your factory master cylinder is installed, that's the exact same way the F-Superduty one will go in as well - front line screwed directly into master is for front brakes only (it splits in two down at the driver-side brake hose), the rear line screwed into the external valve on the side of the master cylinder is for the rear brakes, both with and without ABS. The F-Superduty may be non-ABS truck, but to you that does not matter, as you're not doing anything with the brake lines. Being an '88 model your factory master cylinder does have the float sensor in the reservoir, the '89 F-Superduty should have it also - it's part of the brakes warning system that is standard in both ABS and non-ABS trucks of those model years. Look at the reservoirs and you'll know, connector for the harness will be in the same general location on both master cylinders.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
<<< snip >>>> Just bypass yours with a union fitting till you can find a new one - potentially too much rear braking when empty is a whole lot better than not enough braking while loaded due to leaking high-pressure components. <<<< snip >>>

Thanks.. but I've been looking for a union fitting to do just that and have had NO LUCK finding one that will let me do that because of how the lines in and out set.. I don't want to modify the lines, to risky for me.

If anybody knows where a used, but serviceable F450 proportioning valve for a 1992 is and can get it for a decent price.. I would be most grateful. Stealership wants almost $400 for one... and a 3 months wait... Friendly Local Auto Parts "FLAPS" has a rebuilt one for $340 and a 5 day wait.. both prices make me need a fresh depends... Hell.. it's a 92 truck.. that's 1/4 th the value.. or more..

Anyway.. if you have one, can get one, are scrapping out a truck that has one.. Message me.. I need one.. Thanks..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin