Ford VS International

dieselM715

Feep builder
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys.
Whats the differance between a Ford 7.3 and a IH 7.3? :dunno
What would I have to bring my '88 7.3 up to IH stanards?
My plans for my 7.3 are to add a turbo(I have a Banks turbo)improve the fuel system with injectors and hopfully a Moose pump.Replace all orings and hoses.
The motor I have has 176,000 on it.I plan to freshen it up with new gaskets and seals and clean it up and fresh coat of paint.Before it gets shoehorned into my M715.

Thanks Tom

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
The only difference that I know of is the Governer is at 2850 on the IH and 3300 on the Ford. I'm sure there is some more but that is the only one I can think of.

IMHO that would be a downgrade instead of an upgrade

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same engine. Any upgrade you can do to an IH you can do to a Ford. Its weird referring to them as if they are different, as they are more or less identical.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Torque and power rating were different as well.

On the IH trucks with the 6.9 they used a different water separator then what Ford did. I replaced my water separator with the IH setup. The part number for the filter is in my signature. Its a better setup in my opinion.

Both the 7.3 and 6.9 in the International applications used a larger air filter. They didn't choke em down with tiny exhaust either like Ford did.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Drivers side exhaust manifold was different as well, and I believe the oil pan was backwards and something with the oil cooler rear header... or was the oil cooler between the F and E series.
I know the exhaust manifold, rest of it is from memories of the S1600 I drove for a little while in high school.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from my research the only differance is the pan sump, oil pump pickup, only had v belts and they didn't have a turbo model untill 95 when they went to the 444e model. they also used sae mounts ( bell housing side mounts and a u shaped mount on the front under the harmonic balancer). The ip was tuned by application, (bus with allison trans or Truck with manual trans) Internals on the engine are all the same as NA ford.

dieselM715

Feep builder
Reaction score
I read on a differant board that ford changed the engines from IH specs.But they might have been refering to the powerstrokes.

Thanks for the replies

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have any specific questions I have an IH 7.3

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
I read on a differant board that ford changed the engines from IH specs.But they might have been refering to the powerstrokes.

Thanks for the replies

Yes, on the Powerstroke, Ford didn't like the 3000 governer so they bumped it up to 3300. Only problem with that, is that International considered that overspeeding so then they would no longer warranty the engine in a Ford pickup, so then Ford had to warranty the engine with their own parts, not IH's.