Ford 66-73 F-250 conversion

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
That truck is ****!!!!!! To me it screams 4-53! :D

Blackwaterforge

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I have a Watson (Spicer) auxiliary transmission I am going to put in the truck.
It has a .75 overdrive, Direct and 1.50 under drive.
I am planning to use a close ratio Borg Warner T-19 main transmission.
I have already upgraded the front end to a front end with disc brakes and heavier front end from a 73 F-350.
The 73 front end has 1 1/16 king pins instead of 7/8.
It has a 1 1/16 front sway bar as well.
The rear end is a dana 60 with 4.10 gears.
Do any of you fellows know the distance from where a 4BT sits on the motor mounts and the bottom of the oil pan?
Thank You!

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Honestly, I would go IDI 7.3.

I have seen a 66 truck with a power stroke (cab mounted to the power stroke truck frame) and it fits in the engine compartment.

They are cheap, easy to work on, and get good mileage. I'd run the ZF5 5 speed if it were me.

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya know at one time I started working on a front steering set-up for these trucks(65-79) I fitted ford van front spindles to the stock truck I beams. and that is as far as I got. But I think with the van steering linkage(I "think" they are the same width) and someone to mount the steering box up front,you could EASILY mount a 6.9/7.3 in there, or any other diesel for that matter.

dubl_t

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I have a Watson (Spicer) auxiliary transmission I am going to put in the truck.
It has a .75 overdrive, Direct and 1.50 under drive.

I am planning to use a close ratio Borg Warner T-19 main transmission.

I would think a wide ratio tranny would make better use of the auxillary for splitting gears.
Hope you get going on this though, good looking truck like that NEEDS a diesel!!

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good looking truck! Funny I have had a 4bt and now a 7.3 idi in my Mercury one ton. These engines are fun but I have never really recouped my money back out of the conversions. My 71 crew cab I have just swapped out the 390 4 speed to a 300 with 3 speed overdrive. The 4bts have lots of vibrations compared to most other diesels. I think you should drive different trucks with diesels and choose by your own opinion rather than try it out and then change it out like I did. I costs a lot to experiment!

You must be registered for see images attach

with the 4bt turbo 400 gearvendor with 4.10s

You must be registered for see images attach

with the current 7.3idi c6 gearvendor with 3.73s

Last edited:

Blackwaterforge

Reaction score
Hi Greg
Thanks for the reply!
I have had one ford 7.3 Powerstroke (Loved it)
I have had one Ford 6.0 (Not so much)
I have been around diesels all my life and I like them much better than gas engines.
I want to find a diesel that I can install in my truck with the least amount of modifications.
The 6.9/7.3 or 4bt seem the most logical because the came in ford chassis.

Blackwaterforge

Reaction score
Ya know at one time I started working on a front steering set-up for these trucks(65-79) I fitted ford van front spindles to the stock truck I beams. and that is as far as I got. But I think with the van steering linkage(I "think" they are the same width) and someone to mount the steering box up front,you could EASILY mount a 6.9/7.3 in there, or any other diesel for that matter.

Has anyone done this?

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4bt I just had to build or weld up mounts for the engine and the pan was around 2" away from the steering bar. The IDI had 2" of the oil pan took out and custom made engine mounts and stands. If I had to do over I would go with a stock 89-93 6bt and a small block adapter to run the NP435 4 speed. Then find a dana 61 or 71 with 3.08 gears. Good 55-60 mph cruiser or add a auxiliary od for higher cruising.

Blackwaterforge

Reaction score
Greg
Is the stock suspension substantial enough for a 6BT?
Will it fit without cab modifications or body lift?
I am going to swap a diesel into my truck.
I am looking at possible options.
I plan to use a Borg/Warner T-19 with a Watson overdrive .66 and stock Dana 60 4.10 rear end.
I swapped in a front end from a 73 F-350 with disc brakes that is significantly heavier than the front end that was originally in the 66.
Thank You!

Blackwaterforge

Reaction score
Greg
Outside of the vibration of the 4BT was it enough engine for your truck?
Thank You!

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more than enough. I think I had the wrong convertor in my transmission. I would go 4 speed and not worry about it. The cost of the 4bt stuff is way more than the 5.9. I would go stock non intercooled 89-90 6bt and not turn it up. Plenty out there and no problem with install.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online