For Those Of You Who Have Done The 6.9 Flywheel Swap.....

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I know that I'll need the clutch disk for a 7.3 F-Superduty....My mind gets a little lost when it comes to what TOB needs to be used.....I've heard a custom one, but that's the extent of that. My DMF has taken a crap and I'm trying to locate whatever parts I will need to get this swap done as this is my DD and I can only limp it around for so long. I've got the source for the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disk already taken care of. Like I said, I'm just wondering about what TOB to use....Yes, I did use the search function....it seems quite a bit has gotten lost since the new forum change. Also, is there anything else I could possibly be overlooking?

Last edited:

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are you trying to accomplish? just get rid of the dmf? why not just buy a smf clutch kit and be done with it and on your way?

chowitworkz

Reaction score
If you can source the pressure plate for the 6.9 flywheel you should be good, it should be around 5/8 inch deeper to accommadate the thinner flywheel. Look for cheeper jeepers photo album for referance.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the clutch setup for an 87 f350 with 5 speed. What I did for one of my trucks and it works fine. All the parts are made to work on the 6.9 flywheel and zf combination. Luk part number is 07-076 and is 130 bucks from pepboys if you have one in your area.

Last edited:

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I would recommend Fort Wayne Clutch and get the 12 1/4 inch setup with a Kevlar pilot.

If you use the 11 inch clutch, you will have gear rollover noise.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can you get the parts? Like the Kevlar pilot?

I heard NAPA sells a kit too for around $300 but I couldn't find it on their site.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the clutch setup for an 87 f350 with 5 speed. What I did for one of my trucks and it works fine. All the parts are made to work on the 6.9 flywheel and zf combination. Luk part number is 07-076 and is 130 bucks from pepboys if you have one in your area.

Are you sure about this? Isnt that the part # for the DMF clutch kit? Are you saying a DMF clutch will bolt to a 6.9 flywheel?

chowitworkz

Reaction score
It is my understanding that an 87 with a zf uses the dmf. The part # 07-076 is a dmf clutch kit, and it requires a custom throwout bearing, I do not remember the part number for that. It is the one I mentioned in a previous thread about this same subject. I have been running this set up for about 2 years now.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
what are you trying to accomplish? just get rid of the dmf? why not just buy a smf clutch kit and be done with it and on your way?

I refuse to pay 380 bucks for a SMF kit specific to my truck when right now all I'm looking at is the cost of fuel to get the pressure plate and flywheel and the cost of the friction disk.

If you can source the pressure plate for the 6.9 flywheel you should be good, it should be around 5/8 inch deeper to accommadate the thinner flywheel. Look for cheeper jeepers photo album for referance.

Thank you.....
Where can you get the parts? Like the Kevlar pilot?

I heard NAPA sells a kit too for around $300 but I couldn't find it on their site.

Ft. Wayne sells Kevlar pilot bushings for around 30 bucks......if you're interested in that, call them because they list diddly squat on their site.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I see tons of recommendations for the F-Superduty clutch disk needing to be used in this swap. Unfortunately, short of ordering that particular disk online, no one local to me can even get the blamed thing. That being said, will a standard DMF friction disk be able to take the abuse with an SMF installed? I realize there are 5 fewer springs, but I'm in a tight corner. Any input is appreciated. If I've got to be down for a few days, that's no problem as I have spring break coming up and nothing to do except this clutch swap anyways.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a fort wayne clutch on ebay, got the flywheel and clutch kit. But.....I used their pilot bearing. And it crapped out on me in like 1 mile, so I replaced it with a napa one and it seems to be doing alot better after 1K miles. Make sure you grease the heck outta it. Other than that, the kit has been really good!

I thought it was slipping at first, but then I realized it wasn't, 5th gear just whines a little.-cuss

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I see tons of recommendations for the F-Superduty clutch disk needing to be used in this swap. Unfortunately, short of ordering that particular disk online, no one local to me can even get the blamed thing. That being said, will a standard DMF friction disk be able to take the abuse with an SMF installed? I realize there are 5 fewer springs, but I'm in a tight corner. Any input is appreciated. If I've got to be down for a few days, that's no problem as I have spring break coming up and nothing to do except this clutch swap anyways.

Wow, apparently I wrote this in a state of confusion. I have since learned that there are two sprung hub friction disks to choose from. Would the 5 spring disk be sufficient?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online